|Pepe Deluxe / Queen Of The Wave|
|Album:||Queen Of The Wave||Collection:||General|
|Label:||Asthmatic Kitty Records|
|Add Date:||2012-05-12||Pull Date:||2012-07-15|
|Week Ending:||1 Jul||10 Jun||27 May||20 May|
|1.||Oct 29, 2012:||Love Those Giants |
|4.||Jun 06, 2012:||Seize the Sounds |
|2.||Jun 30, 2012:||Modern Donkey |
|5.||May 23, 2012:||Brownian Motion |
My Flaming Thirst
|3.||Jun 07, 2012:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles: A Work of Drama, etc, etc |
|6.||May 16, 2012:||meow after midnight |
Pepe Deluxe / “Queen of the Wave” / Asthmatic Kitty|
Really quite good. The back explains that the album is an “esoteric pop opera in three parts”. The songs are based loosely on the book A Dweller on Two Planets - basically maps a bunch of stories of a guy named Zailm on Atlantis. It’s fun to read the track descriptions along the way, but what’s most important is the album is solid start to finish. Very psychadelic meets poppy electronica feel to it. Often pretty dramatic, like the show tunes you wish all musicals had. A lot of songs lead into each other, and some are a bit overly dramatic for me, but you could play it start to finish at a (slightly weird) party, and everyone would be pleased.
No FCCs detected.
Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 9, 10
1. * 4:54 Tesla coil synth sounds transition to awesome simple beat, synth solos, flutes - great opener.
2. * 4:04 Awesome beat from the start, poppy synthy dance party - vocals could easily be from Basement Jaxx. Killer!
3. 4:44 Sounds like an Air song that got sped up. Uptempo, female harmonies, frenetic and fun. Turns a bit Baroque-psych in the middle.
4. 2:48 Fuzzy melodic synths, midtempo, psychadelic sexy. Instrumental. Great riff. About 10sec of synth at end.
5. 3:52 Mandolin (?) melody, female vocals, bit of a stripped, synthy, psych sea shanty/folk tale song feel to it at times.
6. 4:09 Female vocals, uptempo, sounds a bit Rocky Horror-ish.
7. 4:33 Slow strong beat, male & fem vox, cool lazy distorted riff, flute. Song breaks down in middle and builds back up.
8. 1:51 Sad, eerie piano interlude. Like setting the scenery in a horror movie. Or maybe a foreign film.
9. * 3:49 Midtempo, eerie harmonies, piano, androgynous (fem) vocals. Dreamy, trippy, sexy!
10. * 2:22 Most standard indie rock esque sounding. Nice change, midtempo, same simple melody starting small and building nicely.
11. 3:43 Severe-opera ish vocals, long dramatic instrumental breaks. NOTE: Seems like it ends 30sec before the actual end, but then small melody emerges and plays through end.
12. 7:18 Slow steady closer. Male and fem vox, the hero is sailing off into the lonely sea. Many melody changes. NOTE: @02:45 remaining, main song ends and ocean sounds continue. After about a minute into this, a little melody comes in and plays to end.
|2.||A Night And A Day||8.||In The Cave|
|3.||Go Supersonic||9.||My Flaming Thirst|
|4.||Temple Of Unfed Fire||10.||Iron Giant|
|5.||Contain Thyself||11.||The Storm|
|6.||Hesperus Garden||12.||Riders On The First Ark|