|Gunn-Truscinski Duo / Ocean Parkway|
|Album:||Ocean Parkway||Collection:||General 12"|
|Artist:||Gunn-Truscinski Duo||Added:||Mar 2012|
|Label:||Three Lobed Recordings|
|Add Date:||2012-03-10||Pull Date:||2012-05-12||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||May 13||Apr 29||Apr 22||Apr 15||Apr 8||Apr 1||Mar 25||Mar 18|
|1.||Feb 28, 2019:||Being as an ocean |
|4.||May 16, 2014:||no voices aloud |
|2.||Nov 13, 2018:||Clean Copper Radio & Hot Topics |
Banh Mi Ringtones
|5.||Nov 27, 2013:||minimum entropy |
Banh Mi Ringtones, Ocean Parkway
|3.||Jun 13, 2014:||FAREWELLGASM |
|6.||Oct 04, 2013:||Fight or Flight |
The psychedelic-folk duo of guitarist Steve Gunn and percussionist John Truscinski brings us another absolutely stellar LP of intricate, inspiring collaborations. Using esoteric-sounding open string tunings, Gunn manages to forge a unique raga-influenced style, which is what makes these instrumental folk jams sound so deep and meditative. The Duo’s second LP features more rootsy Americana vibes, with some quite soulful motifs sounding a lot like electric delta blues. If Stephen Stills had left Crosby and Nash to go on a spiritual pilgrimage through India, he may have started playing something like this. I’m definitely saving a spot on my top 10 list for these guys.|
RIYL: John Fahey, Flower Corsano Duo, Buddhist meditation but also rock’n’roll
Picking any favorite tracks would be like, well, trying to pick favorites on a Gunn-Truscinski Duo record: impossible, so I won’t even bother.
1. (10:28) A slow contemplative raga gradually develops into a bright, upbeat, glorious hippy jazz-rocker anthem with a pulsating backbeat and glistening sunshiney harmonies. Sounds spiritually spontaneous in some places, like a folk-guitar version of Keith Jarrett.
2. (6:37) Chet Atkins if he dropped acid with Link Wray—dreamy eastern harmonies meld seamlessly with some bluesy musings, blending into a deliciously psychedelic trance.
1. (3:41) Dense and thoughtful twangy blues fingerpicking frenzy
2. (6:53) Acoustic, strange and serene folksy chords droning and dancing about, sounds like a guitar trying to mimic a sitar.
3. (5:18) lazy, half-coherent melodies floating around in a transcendental haze
|1.||Ocean Parkway||3.||County Fair Getaway|
|2.||Banh Mi Ringtones||4.||Don't Lean On Door|