|Gunn-Truscinski Duo / Ocean Parkway|
|Album:||Ocean Parkway||Collection:||General 12"|
|Label:||Three Lobed Recordings|
|Add Date:||2012-03-10||Pull Date:||2012-05-12||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||13 May||29 Apr||22 Apr||15 Apr||8 Apr||1 Apr||25 Mar||18 Mar|
|1.||Thu, 28 Feb 19:||DJ Aporia|
Being as an ocean
|4.||Fri, 16 May 14:||derrick|
no voices aloud
|2.||Tue, 13 Nov 18:||DJ SOL•MAX•ION|
Clean Copper Radio & Hot Topics
|5.||Wed, 27 Nov 13:||miss information|
|3.||Fri, 13 Jun 14:||the stolen staplers|
|6.||Fri, 04 Oct 13:||Featherweight|
Fight or Flight
The psychedelic-folk duo of guitarist Steve Gunn and percussionist John Truscinski brings us another absolutely stellar LP of intricate, inspiring collaborations. Using esoteric-sounding open string tunings, Gunn manages to forge a unique raga-influenced style, which is what makes these instrumental folk jams sound so deep and meditative. The Duo’s second LP features more rootsy Americana vibes, with some quite soulful motifs sounding a lot like electric delta blues. If Stephen Stills had left Crosby and Nash to go on a spiritual pilgrimage through India, he may have started playing something like this. I’m definitely saving a spot on my top 10 list for these guys.|
RIYL: John Fahey, Flower Corsano Duo, Buddhist meditation but also rock’n’roll
Picking any favorite tracks would be like, well, trying to pick favorites on a Gunn-Truscinski Duo record: impossible, so I won’t even bother.
1. (10:28) A slow contemplative raga gradually develops into a bright, upbeat, glorious hippy jazz-rocker anthem with a pulsating backbeat and glistening sunshiney harmonies. Sounds spiritually spontaneous in some places, like a folk-guitar version of Keith Jarrett.
2. (6:37) Chet Atkins if he dropped acid with Link Wray—dreamy eastern harmonies meld seamlessly with some bluesy musings, blending into a deliciously psychedelic trance.
1. (3:41) Dense and thoughtful twangy blues fingerpicking frenzy
2. (6:53) Acoustic, strange and serene folksy chords droning and dancing about, sounds like a guitar trying to mimic a sitar.
3. (5:18) lazy, half-coherent melodies floating around in a transcendental haze
|1.||Ocean Parkway||3.||County Fair Getaway|
|2.||Banh Mi Ringtones||4.||Don't Lean On Door|