The soundtrack to the Lebanese movie “Beirut Hotel”—which was banned by censors in Lebanon last year—diversely showcases various Lebanese alternative musicians who are making quite an impact on the Arabic alternative music scene. The soundtrack features songs (in Arabic) and eclectic instrumental tunes.
1. “Dreaming” by Zeid Hamdan is a hypnotic instrumental tune. (1:14)
**2. “Saat Saat” (Hours Hours) by Darine Hamze. Beautiful vocals set to music that begins slowly then speeds up to an amazing crescendo. (3:46)
**3. “Islahat” (Reparations) by Mido Zahair features Mariam Saleh’s vocals singing a song that sounds like a cross between hip hop and hypnotic electronica. Song produced by Zeid Hamdan. (4:42)
**4. “Ya habibi ta’ala” (Come to Me My Love) by Darine Hamze is a semi-acoustic revamped trance-like version of an old song which was originally made popular by singer Asmahan back in the 1940s. (2:51).
5. “La repetition” (by Zeid Hamdan) is an instrumental tune with a regular beat that sounds deliberately monotonous, mild and repetitious. (0:56)
**6. “Segara Bonny” (Brown Cigarette) by Mahmoud El Husseini, a popular Egyptian folk singer (shaabi music genre) who sings about smoking pot in Egypt. Loud, humorous and kinky. (5:38)
7. “1984 (Live)” by Scrambled Eggs, a Lebanese group that is known for its grungy sound and interesting tunes. No real lyrics, just shouting to heavy metal music mixed with different live audience sounds (4:42)
8. “Sortie en mer” (Outing by the Sea) by Zeid Hamdan is a haunting instrumental tune that echoes to reverberating beats. (4:37)
**9. “Ya zahratan fi khayali” (O Flower of My Imagination)by Darine Hamze is an old classic, sung in classical Arabic, which has been modernized, slowed down and remixed. First part is acoustic and showcases Darine’s breathy voice. (2:52)
10.“Ahwak” (I Love You) by Darine Hamzeh. Similar to track 4 and 9 in setting Darine’s vocals to trance-like music. Song was originally recorded by Egyptian singer Abdel Halim Hafez back in the 1970s. (2:50)
11. “The Bridge” by Zeid Hamdan is an instrumental tune that is slow, calm and hypnotic. (2:33)