|Slusser, David / Kzsu Day Of Noise Live, 2/12/12|
|Album:||Kzsu Day Of Noise Live, 2/12/12||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Slusser, David||Added:||Apr 2012|
|Add Date:||2013-05-05||Pull Date:||2013-07-08||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||Jun 30||May 26||May 12|
|1.||Jun 28, 2013:||Pierre Menard's Late Nite Sound Orgy |
Sax: As Broadcast
|3.||May 09, 2013:||minimum entropy ii |
|2.||May 25, 2013:||Music Casserole |
This was recorded right here in our own studios during our Day of Noise 2012 (a year prior to my writing this). David Slusser is a local avant-garde saxophonist who has played with John fucking Zorn, has edited music for David Lynch and Francis Coppola, and has produced sound installations at the MoMA in New York. He’s a big deal, but the music here is humble, unassuming, and tenderly spontaneous. Almost none of it can be recognized as saxophone-based, as many strange effects and tape loops pop up. It’s a strange, whirring, cabbalistic ritual of sound plundering, worthy of any adventurous ears. He’s also done a bang-up job remixing and adding some cool bonus tracks, so it’s really quite outrageous that this languished on the review shelf for a year. RIYL Day Of Noise, Music From The Film (the band)|
1. (8:41) A sleep-deprived Miss Info introduces the set. Weird, wobbly layers of blipping, glitchy sounds swirl abstractly in cavernous goop.
2. (6:42) Spoken word sample from some televangelist with spooky plinky sound effects
3. (6:13) space alien transmissions
4. (1:04) gospel televangelist sample, distorted voice and loops of weirdness. indescribable.
5. (3:02) glitch sampled beats for a few seconds, then spoken word with layers of swirling satellite transmissions in the distance
6. (3:40) weird droning screeching insanity. a day at the dentist turns into a voodoo sacrifice.
7. (2:37) spooky theremin-ish glitchiness, bits of the Nutcracker (I think) sampled in the background
8. (3:10) weird synthesized rainforest sounds, sampled spoken word about God and drugs
9. (3:21) remixed piece from the DoN performance, sax squealing over a bass and drums track
10. (3:19)** the original broadcast of the previous track, lot less audible sax and more prominent effects and weirdness
11. (5:12) whirring sound effects in the background, clip from some old movie
12. (3:01)* collage of Elvis movie trailers
13. (2:58) looped 808 beat, Dubya soundbites, warped voices and wandering woodwinds
14. (3:59) dark, growling ambience, screeching muppet-y voice loops
15. (16:01) taken from a John Zorn album that features Slusser; really bizarre, abstract suite ranging from orchestrated sitar/synthsax ambience, jungle sound collages with skittering piano, groovy organ jaunts, just a wild crazy romp. Be forewarned, this wouldn’t play very well on my disc drive.