|Brownout / Oozy|
|Label:||National Geographic Music|
|Add Date:||2012-05-12||Pull Date:||2012-07-15|
|Week Ending:||24 Jun||20 May||13 May|
|1.||Jun 22, 2012:||The Songsmith Show |
|3.||May 12, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|2.||May 16, 2012:||Seize the Sounds |
Brownout – Oozy |
Reviewed by Sadie O., 5/10/12
Serious Latin Funk from Austin. Think Earth, Wind and Fire, or War. (There’s a sentence to be proud of!) All tracks are hot. Complex and structured, yet also funky and psychedelic. Bits of vocals scattered lightly about. I think there’s FCCs on track 8.
1. 4:03 **groovy jazzy funk, bit horn section. Psychedelic bit in middle.
2. 3:34 **downtempo, relaxed, swingy, with a bit of makossa feel. Vocals are rather Kool and the Gang-y.
3. 4:06 **complex Latin percussion, uptempo, driving. Frankly, I have no idea what they’re singing about – and I don’t think it matters.
4. 4:49 **slow and bluesy, crying guitar. Then goes midtempo swingy funky, with big horns.
5. 4:57 **cool uptempo Latin funk, vocals straight outa Disco.
6. 3:46 **nice – downtempo Latin percussion, both fuzz and wah-wah guitar. Vocals in Spanish – I think… they’re also underwater…
7. 5:09 **deeply swingy relaxed funk, just plain nice.
8. 3:11 FCC? Pretty sure the chorus saying “Fuck You” (X4), but all the vocals are a bit back in the mix… **channeling Isaac Hayes, which is never a bad thing.
9. 4:43 **midtempo, great sound – percussion apparently includes berembau, guitar includes wah-wah. What’s not to love?
10. 3:10 **wow, some GREAT percussion, big fat guitar, loud and aggressive.
11. 4:18 **very slow, bluesy and melancholic. Also a bit of horror movie soundtrack feel… SICK guitar solo. Whaaa! Mommy! Help!
|2.||Stormy Weather||7.||Meter Beater|
|3.||Andy Y Dando||8.||What You Did|
|4.||I Won't Lie||9.||Rub A Dub|