|Artist:||Tiersen, Yann||Added:||Apr 2012|
|Add Date:||2012-06-16||Pull Date:||2012-08-19|
|Week Ending:||Jul 29||Jul 15||Jul 1|
|1.||Jul 26, 2012:||The conscious Soul
|3.||Jun 30, 2012:||Modern Donkey
|2.||Jul 13, 2012:||Ember's Everlasting
Composer most famous for Amelie soundtrack. The familiar toy piano is still there (occasionally), but there’s a lot more here. Rich layers of synths, percussion, bell sounds, guitars, various instruments. Some really beautiful soundscapes, the only thing I’m not sure of is his vocals. Very sparse, heavily distorted layered - like any other instrument. But I dunno, I feel like the sounds could be more effective without it. Other voices also featured, all sparse, but the rich emotional instrumental backgrounds are what really gets me.
No FCCs detected.
Favorites: 1, 2, 8
Individual tracks reviewed inside
1. * 4:54 Starts off toy piano melody, explodes into electric guitars, synths. Goes quiet again in the middle, explodes again to end. Nice!
2. * 3:48 Great distorted guitars, synths, delicate melody. Layered distorted vocals - on the fence about these, but the beautiful background does it for me.
3. 3:53 Bells, midtempo perc, echoey pulsing vocals layered.
4. 4:03 Sparse sounds over a Spanish announcement (?), song builds over, light female vocals, bit repetitive but soothing.
5. 3:28 Cymbals, screams/animal-noises, toy piano, builds/bursts into a nice song! CD Jacket lists “Matt Elliott: Swearing” in musician list, but I didn’t hear anything...
6. 4:11 Echoey piano, big dreamy sound, eerie vocals, computer/robot generated sounds, pretty neat.
7. 5:56 Uptempo - strummed guitar, mandolin, bells, nice build.
8. * 5:53 Bells, nice harmonized vocal “oohs”, vocals build a bit, big soothing sound, sounds more like a closer.
9. 4:09 Ethereal sounds, many different vocals layered through to end. Midtempo, but kinda sad.
|1.||Another Shore||5.||Exit 25 Block 20|
|2.||I'm Gonna Live Anyhow||6.||Hesitation Wound|
|4.||The Gutter||8.||The Trial|