|Miniature Tigers / Mia Pharaoh|
|Artist:||Miniature Tigers||Added:||Jun 2012|
|Label:||Modern Art Records|
|Add Date:||2012-06-02||Pull Date:||2012-08-05|
|Week Ending:||Aug 5||Jul 22||Jul 15||Jul 8||Jul 1||Jun 24||Jun 17||Jun 10|
|1.||Apr 29, 2022:||KZSU Time Traveler |
|4.||Sep 27, 2013:||Time Traveler White Plaza Live Fill-In |
|2.||Mar 21, 2014:||Time Traveler |
|5.||Jun 07, 2013:||Time Traveler |
|3.||Dec 13, 2013:||Time Traveler |
|6.||Jan 11, 2013:||Time Traveler (Top 37 Indie CDs of 2012) |
This is a weird deal. You may remember Miniature Tiger from 2010's "Fortress," or the earlier "Tell the Volcano"-- two charming albums of bubblegummy, dorky-falsetto indie-pop, with touches of everything.|
This album, (which, incidentally, what a terrible album title, yeah?) is more of an experiment, with several of the tracks trying to emulate Top-40 hits (the band said exactly as much in interviews). But not in a deconstructionist, or interesting, or good way. It just ends up being absolute garbage, not even a novelty. Just really, really crummy. Imagine a half-assed Of Montreal (2004-on) covers band.
So, trust me-- below, when it says TERRIBLE, actually skip it. It saddens me that they only produced half an album, and half of this misbegotten experiment. But the tracks that aren't vile abortions, are actually quite great! Seriously, just pretend this is an EP with a printing error, and you've got an okay release. (No FCCs on the "real" tracks. FCCs on the others.)
1. TERRIBLE. AVOID
2. TERRIBLE. AVOID
3. TERRIBLE. AVOID (plus FCC)
4. (4:00) ** Strummy, starts with a Simon&Garfunkel\gummi bear sound, then progresses into the 'standard' Miniature Tigers indie-pop. About a friendship with David Hockney, it is. Lazy, summery.
5. (3:29) A little too synthy and whiny with the vocals. Some good hooks. I'd avoid, but it's not all-out skull-and-crossbones like the others. It's half a decent song.
6. TERRIBLE. AVOID
7. (3:48) ********** This uptempo track is the synthesis of everything Miniature Tigers have been reaching toward-- YES. Synthetic songcraft, goofy Eurovision hooky indie-pop. Dorky and strummy and bloopy and really everything good that bubblegum is, these days. Four or five great bridges. This song alone justifies the rest of this crumminess.
8. (3:30) * Slow, smeary ballad. Okayish, in a whiny sort of way. Modulation noise enters and exits-- a bit dreary, the song is, but good textures.
9. TERRIBLE. AVOID
10. (3:43) ***** Downtempo, dreamy. Beach Boysish, with weird moments of whistling and sped-up bridges... A lovely and unusual, effective song.
|1.||Sex On The Regular||6.||Flower Door|
|4.||Afternoons W/David Hockney||9.||Angel Bath|
|5.||Easy As All That||10.||Husbands & Wives|