Papa Grows Funk – Needle in the Groove
Reviewed by Sadie O, 8/11/12
DEEP Nawlins FUNK. Sent to Jazz, and there are some smooth-jazz elements, but the Funk thankfully predominates.
1. 4:50 ****Family Stone-style pop bass, disco-funk dance groove – just yummy.
2. 4:31 ***downtempo funky shuffle, gruff vocals, social progress lyrics.
3. 4:36 ***slow, super-cool strut. All about coming home for some good lovin’.
4. 3:55 **bippity-boppity (funky) little hippity-hoppity. You can do the electric slide to this.
5. 4:03 ***downtempo sashay, relaxed and sweet, instrumental.
6. 3:45 **jelly roll piano, laid-back midtempo,old-timey vibe.
7. 4:22 **bouncy, syncopated, jazzy funk. Rather sparse instrumentation compared to most of the other cuts. Instrumental.
8. 4:14 ***pop bass, Rhodes, rather uptempo instrumental with a bit of a pimp feel (I think it’s the jazzy sax…) Would get two stars, but that bass is super-bad.
9. 6:03 **relaxed downtempo bluesy stroll. All about the healing power of music… Gnarly guitar solo – almost makes up for the preponderance of the jazzy sax… (ends 20 seconds shy, with some faint vinyl crackles..)