|Various Artists / American Flute Quintets (Tower, Foote, Beach)|
|Album:||American Flute Quintets (Tower, Foote, Beach)||Collection:||Classical|
|Add Date:||2012-07-29||Pull Date:||2012-09-30||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||9 Sep|
|1.||Sep 03, 2012:||Mixed Up Class |
Beach: Theme and variations, op. 80, for flute and string quartet
American Flute Quintets (Tower, Foote, Beach) / Green Mountain Chamber Music Festival|
Label: Bridge, 2012
Flutist Carol Wincenc is joined by a string quartet in these works by Joan Tower (b. 1938), Arthur Foote (1853-1937), and Amy Beach (1867-1944). Tower is a Grammy-winning composer, teacher, pianist and conductor, long a faculty member at Bard, and internationally recognized. Foote studied at Harvard and earned the first MA in music awarded in America. His music is rich in melody and inventive in harmony. Amy Beach was American’s first female composer of art songs and large-scale symphonic works; she began composing at age 5, concertizing at 7. The Theme and Variations is based on her An Indian Lullaby, with the flute given a melody of its own. The melody is serene, a four-part song asking the forest breeze to lull a child to sleep. Foote and Beach were famous in their days, but overshadowed later by Copland, Hanson and Bernstein.
1. Joan Tower: Rising (16:08). Quiet, modal, mysterious, hovering. The piece rises using diatonic and chromatic scales, with the flute a songbird, assailed by gusty crosscurrents and gravity.
2. Arthur Foote: Two Pieces: I. Nocturne (8:47). Brooding, melancholy, leisurely.
3. Foote: Two Pieces: II. Scherzo (5:00). Gypsy dance, bucolic interlude, gypsies return.
4. Amy Beach: Theme And Variations, Op. 80: I. Theme - Lento Di Molto (2:44). The string quartet presents the quiet theme.
5. Theme And Variations, Op. 80: II. Var. 1 - L'istesso Tempo (2:59). The flute enters into the dialogue.
6. Theme And Variations, Op. 80: III. Var. 2 - Allegro Giusto (1:33). The tempo picks up, as does the drama.
7. Theme And Variations, Op. 80: IV. Var. 3 - Andantino Con Morbidezza (1:48). A waltz variation.
8. Theme And Variation, Op. 80: V. Var. 4 - Presto Leggiero (1:00). Quick, light.
9. Theme And Var., Op. 80: VI. Var. 5 - Largo Di Molto (7:48). Soulful.
10. Theme And Variations, Op. 80: VII. Var. 6 - Allegro Giocoso (2:18). Flute and quartet in spirited interchanges, contemplative musings.
11. Theme And Variations, Op. 80: VIII. Coda - Tempo Del Tema (2:01). The serene quartet melody and the energetic flute cadenza come together.