|Various Artists / Rough Guide Ethiopia (2012)|
|Album:||Rough Guide Ethiopia (2012)||Collection:||World|
|Label:||World Music Network|
|Add Date:||2012-08-26||Pull Date:||2012-10-28||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||28 Oct||21 Oct||14 Oct||7 Oct||23 Sep||9 Sep||2 Sep|
|1.||Nov 22, 2012:||New World Disorder |
|4.||Oct 13, 2012:||Music Casserole |
Ambassel, Ende Eyerusalem
|2.||Oct 21, 2012:||The Mongrel's Stoop |
|5.||Oct 12, 2012:||No Cover, No Minimum |
|3.||Oct 18, 2012:||The Sunset Life |
|6.||Oct 07, 2012:||The Mongrel's Stoop |
Rough Guide to Ethiopia|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/23/12
Wide variety of Ethiopian music from the last few decades. Some is very traditional and some is very funky, but quite a few of the tracks have a significant jazz component. Interesting stuff, and even the tracks that aren’t killer are darn good in their own quirky ways…
1. 4:58 ****rooster crowing, then upbeat hiphop with a wide variety of voices, and a super-funky midtempo groove. Just fantastic! (slightly different production from the version on their album in our collection.)
2. 5:14 ***groovy jazz piano intro, adds layers of horns and rhythms, uptempo and polyrhythmic, lead female vocals with distinctively Ethiopian trills. Nice.
3. 4:47 *older, slinky keyboard-and-horn based psychedelia with a jazz tinge. Interesting quavery male vocals.
4. 4:22 **chunky little guitar intro, then big horns and funky free jax. Instrumental. A lot better than I probably make it sound…
5. 2:26 *wheezy flute and percussion. Sounds ancient (all folk instruments) and rather like circus music.
6. 7:23 ***lovely plucked strings and drums, slinky and cool. Almost coloratura femalevocals.
7. 5:11 **low-key keyboards and drums, nice horn section. A bit psychedelic and really cool. Gets all free-form in the middle.
8. 3:23 **truly quark, strangeness and charm. Low-key drone instrument and soft chanting. Noise and Captain Beefheart fans should enjoy this!
9. 5:29 **bowed instrument, bass and female vocals. Rather experimental in nature, but with a basis in traditional music. Gets more rhythmic and uptempo as it goes along.
10. 3:46 **Bop! Uptempo and upbeat “Ethio-jazz”, gruff male vocals.
11. 7:20 ***cool unplugged shuffle, female vocals and truly gnarly guitar. Fun stuff.
12. 4:50 **mellow guitar and hand drums, unschooled male vocals. Has the feel of being sung around a fire in front of a tent at night…
13. 3:52 *very sweet and rather wistful piano, with a sort of WWII era feel.