|Aesop Rock / Skelethon|
|Add Date:||2012-08-12||Pull Date:||2012-10-14||Charts:||Hip-Hop|
|Week Ending:||7 Oct||9 Sep||2 Sep||26 Aug|
|1.||Jun 10, 2022:||borrowed time |
Zero Dark Thirty
|4.||Sep 28, 2015:||Everything A to Z week 13 |
|2.||Dec 08, 2019:||Soul, Samples & Substitutions |
Gopher Guts, Ruby '81
|5.||Jan 14, 2015:||Corey and Cory |
Zero Dark Thirty
|3.||Jan 24, 2019:||Grace and Jam |
Gopher Guts, Cycles To Gehenna
|6.||Jul 15, 2013:||Happy Hour (Coverin' for PACC) |
reviewed by Underbelly
One of raps most enigmatic MCs returns with Skelethon, Aesop Rock's first album without any guest verses, or Blockhead beats. Produced entirely by Aesop himself, Skelethon's ominous boom-bap influenced production perfectly compliments Aesop's voice for maximum impact, bar after bar. And the lyrics? As dense and puzzling as ever.
No FCCs. Recommended: 1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 15
1. Great opening with dark ominous production. Funky breakbeats and scary guitars. Aesop delivers as always.
2. Super funky breakbeat and and fuzzed out guitars. Aesop's voice sounds weak on the chorus.
3. Heavy thundering drums and more fuzzy guitars. Again the chorus ain't great but the verses are all dope.
4. Single for the album. Great cuts by DJ Big Wiz. Great track, play this.
5. Eno-esque chimes and electro drums. Interesting production, definitely a weirder track.
6. Ambient backdrop with voices in the background. Track builds as Aesop raps on about a barbecue gone wrong or something. Very cool, play this.
7. Kimya Dawson featured on this track in the intro. Not familiar with her work, her voice reminds me of the movie Juno. After her intro Aesop kicks a dope verse as usual.
8. Distorted synth bass with totally insane drums. Sounds super chaotic, suits Aesop's voice perfectly.
9. Kimya featured again on this track about haircuts, of all things. "Dude, it grows back!" One of the funniest tracks Aesop has done, play this.
10. Super distorted synth bass and pounding drums. Chorus is weird again, but thankfully short.
11. Aesop raps about how to make a homemade mummy (!). "Take the brain, leave the heart in..." Totally awesome.
12. Fat snare and kinda country sounding track. Aesop raps about not eating your vegetables, kid. Eat your vegetables, godammit!
13. Fast, funky drums with some weird-ass synths and singing. Track feels like it threatens to explode at any moment.
14. Super fat drums and super phat synth bass. "Turn a staff to snake and back". Brilliant synths here, this guy can produce, man!
15. Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts closes the album. Dirty, vintage drums and middle-eastern singing. "Then I let em go". Totes awesome, play THIS.
|2.||Zzz Force||9.||Racing Stripes|
|3.||Cycles To Gehenna||10.||1,000 O'clock|
|4.||Zero Dark Thirty||11.||Homemademummy|
|6.||Ruby '81||13.||Saturn Missiles|