|Romain, James, Nicholas Roth And Mark Engebretson / Howl|
|Artist:||Romain, James, Nicholas Roth And Mark Engebretson||Added:||08/2012|
|Add Date:||2013-02-09||Pull Date:||2013-04-14||Charts:||Classical/Experimental|
|Week Ending:||17 Feb|
|1.||Feb 16, 2013:||Music Casserole |
|2.||Feb 13, 2013:||minimum entropy |
James Romain, Nicholas Roth, Mark Engebretson/Howl|
Label: Innova Recordings
Reviewed by Carl M
Several contemporary pieces for piano, saxophone and computer. Very interesting collection of diverse works, with Asian, jazz, and modernist influences.
Favorites: Sonata (Larghetto), Secondary Impressions
1. (7:29) Howl - First half free form jazz improvisation with MIDI strings, saxophone, and percussion, then a fast pounding groove with uneasy sax melodies. One cool section where saxophone starts playing a bebop lick.
2. (3:54) Adagio – Moderato – Somber intro, then typical sonata first movement for saxophone and piano. Some Asian sounding harmony.
3. *(6:23) Larghetto – Somber saxophone melodies and interplay of piano. Very diverse, sporadic interesting music.
4. (5:12) Allegro – Very intense chromatic piano and saxophone melodies, pentatonic as well. End is very loud.
5. (11:29) SaxMax – Drone with saxophone, saxophone starts putting effects and looping on sound. Very out there.
6. *(5:24) Cyclotronic Multi-faceted Spheroidal Reverberation – Relatively more melodic and pentatonic piece, but still frenetic, for saxophone and piano.
7. (4:51) Invertible Introspection – Slower melody in saxophone over repeating backgrounds in piano. Gets very loud and deep in saxophone.
8. *(8:42) Serenade (Under Glass) – Piano chords being plucked across the strings, very nice saxophone melody over it. Much more tonal.
9. *(4:00) Le compositeur englouti – Solemn chords, saxophone interplay. Saxophone eventually picks up melody, piano play larger interesting chords underneath.
10. (8:14) Energy Drink – Solo saxophone, basically showing off. Lots of chromatic runs, high register screams.