ITALIAN FUNK-ROCK - This is tight. Mostly instrumental, basic funk setup: guitar, bass, drums, keys, and occasional horns. Jam-packed with infectious grooves. Lots of bluesy notes give this a crime-thriller feel, although most of it is pretty light (except maybe 6 and 10). If you don’t have fun listening to this, there’s something wrong with you and I would recommend checking the KZSU chat list for some drug recommendations. RIYL: funk, Morricone, film music, Tarantino. No words, so no FCC’s.
Tracks listed inside. All are great. My favorites: 1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 11
1.*** Tight funk, complete with wah guitar and a killer bassline. Goes double time at the end.
2. Uptempo. Syncopated “oohs” and “ahs.” Tight!
3.* Jerky rhythm section mischief with dirty guitar solos.
4.*** Indian flavor in quick 5/4. Nice flute melody, sitar solos. Totally distinctive!
5. Slower funk, fun (nonverbal) vocal melody and horn section.
6.** A crime scene! Odd meter, with anxious keyboards. And it’s a Morricone cover!!!!
7. Slow start, but develops into a slick groove. Music for a stealth mission scene in a 70’s crime film.
8. 6/8. Very tight melodic exchange between guitar, vibes, and keys.
9.** Awesome interplay between (nonverbal) vocals and horns/guitar/keys. Brisk pace, lots of fun.
10. 6/8. Appropriately titled “Rain on Concrete.” A bit somber.
11.*** Gritty, moody groove. Awesome bells.
12. Uptempo, a little frantic. Variation on riff from 1. Nice guitar solos.