|Xx, The / Coexist|
|Add Date:||2012-10-21||Pull Date:||2012-12-23|
|Week Ending:||23 Dec||16 Dec||2 Dec||25 Nov||18 Nov||11 Nov||4 Nov||28 Oct|
|1.||Thu, 23 Aug 18:||Sam I Am|
|4.||Tue, 27 Jun 17:||Sam I Am|
|2.||Thu, 31 May 18:||Jabbering Encore|
The Flannel Underground
|5.||Sat, 12 Dec 15:||Victoria|
|3.||Tue, 25 Jul 17:||Sam I Am|
|6.||Tue, 02 Jun 15:||Telepathic Juan|
In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [SPQ07]
Introverted electropop. If you’ve picked this up, chances are that you enjoyed The XX’s self-titled debut album. If that is the case, you’re in for a treat. Coexist uses the exact same formula, but with more mature melodies and more drama. Angsty lyrics, pretty guitars, and the occasional bit of steel drum for everybody! If you didn’t like ‘The XX’, don’t bother. But seriously, this is an excellent album, and though the formula is tried and tested by now, this record is even better than the first.|
Try: 5, 6, 7, 1, 2, 11
1) * 2:51 Guitar echos and vulnerable lyrics. Extremely sparse chorus with simple kick drum pattern. Pretty, pretty, pretty.
2) * 2:47 More upbeat bass backing. Polyrhythmic kick eventually blends in and drives the track forward. Cool male/female vocal mix.
3) 2:56 Background guitar pattern, buzzing male meditative vocals. Builds up more and more drama until a piano line slowly trickles out.
4) 3:15 Wobbly electronics and a no-tempo drum pattern. Builds up, deconstructs, repeat. More straightforward and pop-ish than the rest.
5) ** 3:57 Direct and driven. Includes what just might be the most appropriate use of steel drums. That alone makes this worth playing.
6) ** 3:38 Starts out all minimalistic, gradually adds more intensity. Great hooks, Burial-esque drums in the background. Beautiful.
7) ** 3:33 Less is more. Over the top dramatic, by far the most dynamic song on here. Extremely melancholic, long empty spaces.
8) 3:01 Sparse, minimalistic. Not quite as catchy as the rest.
9) 3:02 Longing, faint guitars. Hushed feel, lots of empty space.
10) 4:59 Long a capella intro adds Burial-esque drums and echo-heavy guitars.
11) 3:13 * Slow and pretty. Lovey-dovey duet with tightly layered vocals and heavily processed guitars in the background.