|Graham, Larry And Graham Central Station / Raise Up|
|Artist:||Graham, Larry And Graham Central Station||Added:||12/2012|
|Label:||Razor & Tie Music|
|Add Date:||2012-12-29||Pull Date:||2013-03-03|
|Week Ending:||3 Mar||24 Feb||17 Feb||10 Feb||3 Feb||27 Jan||20 Jan||13 Jan|
|1.||Mon, 28 Oct 19:||subroot|
Soul, Samples & Substitutions
|4.||Tue, 17 Dec 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine on a Full Moon Afternoon
|2.||Fri, 23 May 14:||MC Dizzy Jackson|
The Songsmith Show
|5.||Tue, 26 Nov 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . on a Turkey Afternoon!
|3.||Tue, 07 Jan 14:||Sunshine|
Sunshine ... in the Afternoon
|6.||Tue, 12 Nov 13:||Sunshine|
Sunshine . . . in the Afternoon
Larry Graham and Graham Central Station – Raise Up|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 12/29/12
Funky Funk. Graham, if for some reason you don’t know, was the bassist with Sly and the Family Stone, and invented the rubbery poppy fun bass sound. All these years later, and he’s still funky as mess. Some tracks veer a bit towards the commercial in places, but that bass work saves everything except track 10 – and most of the tracks are just awesome. Prince odds an extra dollop of weird to several tracks. No FCCs!
1. 1:25 ***whistles, and drumline, with a funky second line shuffle. Leads into next track.
2. 6:45 ****uptempo and very upbeat, super-funky, horn section and CRAZY bass action.
3. 3:35 ***midtempo hip-wiggler, Family Stone feel.
4. 5:35 *****downtempo, ultra-funky bass grunts, bass vocals. Prince guests on processed vocals and guitar – pretty amusing.
5. 4:48 ***slow electric guitar blues. Some pretty amazing vocals.
6. 1:02 ***mostly a cappela churchical singing – very nice.
7. 6:10 ****midtempo funky strut, very upbeat. Some crazy-ass vocals.
8. 4:55 *****absolutely amazing vocal funk beatboxing a la Family Stone. Whew! Then funky bass-heave march. So good! Cover of the huge Stevie Wonder hit. It takes a lot to one-up Stevie at his own game, but I think they’ve done it.
9. 7:05 **slow lounge soul – should have Barry White singing – saved by slinky bass.
10. 5:08 slow and icky love song. Can’t all be hits…
11. 4:58 **uptempo, chugging. Vocals take turns a la Family Stone.
12. 5:35 ***slow, funky, Prince-style keyboards, great low end sound. Goes all orchestral and dramatic in the middle. Not actually very danceable, but cool.
13. 6:44 **downtempo, subdued – hopeful lyrics, but not overly exciting music.
|1.||Gcs Drumline||7.||It Ain't No Fun To Me|
|2.||Throw-N-Down The Funk||8.||Higher Ground|
|3.||It's Alright||9.||No Way|
|4.||Raise Up||10.||Hold You Close|
|5.||Shoulda Coulda Woulda||11.||Movin'|
|6.||Welcome 2 Our World||12.||Now Do U Wanta Dance|