|Brooke, Nick / Border Towns|
|Album:||Border Towns||Collection:||Review Shelf|
|Add Date:||2013-03-09||Pull Date:||2013-05-12|
|Week Ending:||24 Mar|
|1.||Mar 21, 2013:||orangeasm (pt1) |
Border Towns by Nick Brooke|
Label: Innova Recordings
This experimental/Americana/ambient record/suite consists of mashups of “familiar and obscure musical quotations along with commonplace noises.” No FCCs. - Sonja L. 2/14/13
1. (4:06) Silver City - Humming that turns into chorus (very shrill at times), ambient noise, violent outbursts of male vocals, no real melody - just snippets of random vocal pieces pasted together.
2. (0:28) ambient - sound of a train
3. (5:00) Jackman - Dramatic choral opening with occasional heavy drum beat. At points joined by trumpets, sound of a burp, electric guitar mini-riffs, moaning, familiar musical quotations
4. (0:34) ambient - random chatter
5. (5:29) Tombstone - Clanging turns to cacophony of sounds, interspersed with vocal outbursts. Dramatic piano and singing towards middle. Lots of sudden pauses/silence.
6. (0:28) ambient - birds chirping, waves crashing, chatter
7. (6:29) Ocean Grove - Repeated screamy male vocals interspersed with choral phrases, dramatic pauses. Parts in Italian?
8. (3:51) Del Rio - Possible imitation of a radio DJ. Dramatic pauses, weird futuristic noises, parts in Spanish. Chorus on top at points.
9. (4:59) Heart Butte - Slow piano with male vocal. Chorus comes in at points, familiar musical quotations, dog barking, clock ticking, repeats.
10. (3:04) Ponemah - Light beginning with occasional male vocals, chanting, synths. Familiar musical quotations (Bob Dylan), more chanting, heavy drumbeats, operatic female vocals.
11. *(4:42) Chokoloskee - Starts with nice bass, horns, interspersed with familiar (nostalgic) musical quotations, sounds of water, strings, slow piano, sound of thunder storm/shrill, screamy vocals make for a dramatic ending.
12. (5:28) Columbus - Begins with fast-paced guitar, sound of airplane and eerie female vocal. Turns fast-paced with Spanish horns/guitar/vocals. Random speaking. Familiar vocal quotations, glass shattering
13. (3:52) Grand Isle - Humming, faint chatter in background, repeated female vocals, slow track. Similar to many other tracks.
14. (2:53) Jacumba - Dramatic opening, chorus, strong horns, organ, slow piano, chatter in background, dog barking, sharp exhalations.
|1.||Silver City||8.||Del Rio|