|Blondy, Alpha / Mystic Power|
|Add Date:||2013-07-28||Pull Date:||2013-09-29||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||29 Sep||22 Sep||15 Sep||8 Sep||1 Sep||25 Aug||18 Aug||11 Aug|
|1.||Sat, 15 Jun 19:||FYW|
|4.||Sun, 15 Sep 13:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|2.||Sat, 02 Mar 19:||kim the friendly acupuncturist|
The Acupuncture Hour/Audio Ambrosia
|5.||Tue, 10 Sep 13:||Sunshine|
Good Day Sunshine
|3.||Sun, 22 Sep 13:||Sadie O.|
New World Disorder
|6.||Thu, 05 Sep 13:||Shineymic|
no way to say
Alpha Blondy – Mystic Power|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 7/28/13
One of Africa’s biggest Reggae stars, from the Cote d-Ivoire. Somewhat more commercial production than I’d prefer, but the music is forceful and the lyrics even more so.
1. 4:27 **Afro-Dancehall chanting, forceful mid-tempo march riddim. Unfortunate auto-tuner on vocals. Beenie Man’s toast is quite nice, though.
2. 4:56 ****fun downtempo electronic skank. Diatribe about the American Dream…
3. 5:04 ***strong cover of “I Shot the Sheriff” in French.
4. 4:39 *****big downtempo stepping razor skank with lots of horns and electric guitar, strong backing vocals. Lots of power.
5. 3;48 ****downtempo roots rock reggae. Great sound. Lyrics in French and Arabic – I wish I knew more French…
6. 4:26 ****ha! Intro to “The Good, The Bad and the Ugly” in horns – love it! Uptempo, bouncy one-drop.
7. 3:56 ***Tarzan yell! Goshers… Swingy downtempo bubble. Something tells me he’s no more enamoured of France than of America… Just a guess…
8. 4:32 ***ululation, then midtempo skank, interesting flute sound, lyrics in English.
9. 3:41 ***upbeat and uptempo bubble. Lyrics mostly in Dioula, I think?
10. 4:13 ***strong electric guitar skank. Very sincere sounding love song.
11. 4:20 *****lots of laughter, then midtempo classic roots rock reggae skank. Great sound, Rasta sociopolitical lyrics.
12. 4:15 ****midtempo bubble w/ electric guitar and electronics.
13. 6:23 ****pretty folk-pop intro, midtempo bouncy roots bubble, lyrics in several languages and several vocalists.
14. 4:47 **downbeat and downtempo piano, singing in French. Almost a hymn.