|Randolph, Robert & Family Band / Lickety Split|
|Artist:||Randolph, Robert & Family Band||Added:||08/2013|
|Add Date:||2013-09-01||Pull Date:||2013-11-03|
|Week Ending:||13 Oct||22 Sep||8 Sep|
|1.||Oct 10, 2013:||The Songsmith Show |
Blacky Joe Feat. Carlos Santana
|3.||Sep 01, 2013:||New World Disorder |
|2.||Sep 19, 2013:||Space House |
Robert Randolph & the Family Band – Lickety Split|
Reviewed by Sadie O., 8/31/13
Funky soulful funky funk, led by wild pedal steel guitar. Largely of the New Orleans style, with some Parliament feel and some churchical groove. I was attracted to this because two of the songs are covers of obscure African 70’s tracks, both of which are in our collection. Turns out those two have Carlos Santana guesting on guitar – looks like Carlos listens to the same crazy shit we do!
1. 3:19 ***big, rubbery chord, then uptempo chugging groove, raucous bar funk, very bass heavy but with gnarly pedal steel guitar.
2. 4:22 ****midtempo FUNKY ASS FUNK, rubbery strut. Happiest damn pentacostal gospel music you ever heard. Bit of Parliament quote – nice.
3. 4:13 ***downtempo, downbeat, almost has a Hawaiian slack key guitar vibe, soulful female vocals, really pretty. Bit of Nawlins style rap.
4. 4:11 *****Speaking of Nawlins… Funky second line strut featuring Trombone Shorty. This’ll lift your mood, no doubt!
5. 4:37 ****uptempo chugging groove with stuttering guitar (and Carlos Santana), cover of an African disco hit (by Mixed Grill). Noisy and wild.
6. 4:03 ****folksy uptempo soul rock groove, jump and shake a tail feather to this.
7. 5:51 ***slow, very bluesy cover of an African track from the 70’s (see World Ends), great interplay of guitars. I think this is the 4th trip back and forth across the Atlantic for this music.
8. 3:13 *****OH HELL YES. OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH!
9. 2:44 ***noisy, fuzzy hard rock. Wave your lighters in the air.
10. 5:09 ***uptempo and upbeat as all getout, complicated guitar line. Mostly instrumental rave-up. Turns Spiritual in middle.
11. 6:12 **slow, mellow and chimey, bluesy, very serious lyrics – I totally appreciate the sentiment, but I’m already sad and worried enough…
12. 2:55 ***uptempo cover of the Young Rascals classic, lots of interplay between keyboards and guitars.
|1.||Amped Up||7.||Blacky Joe Feat. Carlos Santana|
|2.||Born Again||8.||Love Rollercoaster|
|3.||New Orleans||9.||All American|
|4.||Take The Party Feat. Trombone Shorty||10.||Get Ready|
|5.||Brand New Wayo Feat. Carlos Santana||11.||Welcome Home|
|6.||Lickety Split||12.||Good Lovin'|