|Various Artists / Rough Guide Mediterranean|
|Album:||Rough Guide Mediterranean||Collection:||World|
|Label:||World Music Network|
|Add Date:||2013-08-11||Pull Date:||2013-10-13||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||13 Oct||6 Oct||29 Sep||15 Sep||8 Sep||1 Sep||25 Aug||18 Aug|
|1.||Thu, 21 Mar 19:||Xris|
|4.||Sun, 07 Dec 14:||Ramzi Salti|
|2.||Thu, 25 Aug 16:||M A R G Y|
|5.||Thu, 27 Feb 14:||Ramzi Salti|
|3.||Tue, 27 Jan 15:||Ramzi Salti|
|6.||Thu, 23 Jan 14:||Ramzi Salti|
This Rough Guide highlights tunes from various Mediterranean regions, including Greece, Italy, Croatia, Turkey, Lebanon, Morocco, Israel and more. The music often includes Latin rhythms, languorous vocals, Algerian and French flavors and Franco-Spanish accordion playing.|
1. STASSINOPOULOU & KALYVIOTIS sing a reinvented Greek folk track that mixes traditional chords with urban beats.
**2. MAURICE EL MEDIONI is a Jewish singer from Algeria who experiments with Andalusian and rai music. Great beat.
3. DANIELE SEPE is an acclaimed jazz saxophonist from Italy who interprets protest songs.
4. EMIL ZRIHAN’s song exemplifies the JudeoAndalusian and folk traditions of his Morocco. His intricate mawals (improvisations) are renowned for their elasticity and vocal prowess.
5. DARKO RUNDEK & CARGO ORKESTAR hail from Yugoslavia with a slow ballad with guitar and romantic lyrics.
6. SALAMAT is a Nubian all-star ensemble whose music meshes Nubian elements with Egyptian music.
7. A FILETTA is an all-male singing group that performs a traditional song from Corsica.
**8. RAMZI ABUREDWAN is a Palestinian musician who displays the sound of his evocative bouzouki on this instrumental track.
9. MERCAN DEDE FEAT. ZERINA COKOJA are Turkish singers who fuse the best of traditional acoustic forms with electronic vibes.
10. FANFARA’s song represents the boldly brash and brassy world of Albanian music.
11. DIMITRIS MISTAKIDIS plays Greek music that is driven by the Guitar, bouzouki and baglamás.
12. BENJAMÍN ESCORIZA has a raw and distinctive voice and blends traditional North African music with Latin rhythms and a pop sensibility.
**13. JALILAH – Jalilah is a raqs sharki style of dance, more commonly referred to as 'bellydance music’. This medley mixes the classic song ‘El Bent Al Shalabiya’ by Lebanese singer Fairuz with other classics.
14. AKIM EL SIKAMEYA blends European and Algerian influences with his unique fiddle-playing technique.
15. THE RUTH YAAKOV ENSEMBLE is headed by Israeli musician Ruth Yaakov who draws from opera, folk-song and Sephardic chamber music.
16. EDUARDO NIEBLA is defined by the and fuses flamenco and jazz with technical brilliance.
17. WATCHA CLAN create Mediterranean grooves peppered with a unique electro sound.
18-21. EDUARO NIEBLA & ADEL SALAMEH (BONUS DISC ARTISTS) create music that explores the vibrant links between their overlapping cultural backgrounds. Mellow tracks that soothe the soul.