|Botany / Lava Diviner (True Story)|
|Album:||Lava Diviner (True Story)||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2013-10-31||Pull Date:||2014-01-02|
|Week Ending:||15 Dec||8 Dec||24 Nov||10 Nov||3 Nov|
|1.||Feb 01, 2018:||Sound Landscapes |
|4.||Dec 05, 2013:||The Sunset Life |
|2.||Dec 04, 2015:||A Visit From Drum (All My Friends Are Animals) |
|5.||Dec 03, 2013:||Pumping Iron |
|3.||Dec 08, 2013:||Pumping Iron |
|6.||Nov 21, 2013:||KZSU Trainee Party |
Cant / Goosemother
Botany is a Texas producer who fits well into the Brainfeeder label LA beats scene. However, he definitely carves out his own niche with this CD, blending elements of hip hop, jazz, psychedelia, ambient, and tribal fervor. This has some insanely creative and varied percussion. I don't know if I've ever listened to an instrumental beat album that conveys mood and narrative as well as this. Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12. So, basically all of them. PLAY THIS. NOW. No FCCs.|
Similar artists/releases: Shigeto, Flying Lotus, Teebs, Gold Panda, Shlohmo, Hiatus Kaiyote, Four Tet, Gang Gang Dance (sort of)
1. (3:52) *** Synths like gurgling water then jazzy drum solo. Wordless choral voices float above a layered handclap beat. Ends with a thumping kind of hidden track that transitions to song 2
2. (2:47) * Beat driven piece interlaced with deep unintelligible but beautiful vocal samples. Magic.
3. (2:44) *** Smooth, transportive music. Really clever and addictive vocal samples cloaked in chimes with some perfectly suited drums to hold it all together
4. (1:43) Cinematic beatless interlude
5. (3:39) ** Mid-tempo. Jazzy drums. Soulful female vocals repeating the line "simple creatures". I don't know where he comes up with this stuff but I'm all over it
6. (4:17) *** Starts slow and cinematic then a beautifully wild beat comes in. Ambient middle and then a new beat for the back half. Whatever cult this guy is part of I'm joining.
7. (4:26) ** Slight transition from out of track 6. Loping beat with some nice synth melodies. Eventually layered with almost operatic vocals
8. (2:45) ** Jangling percussion, wordless female vocals, cool bass sounds, nice ascending melody
9. (1:10) Choral mood piece. Sounds like lava. Cool
10. (5:13) ** Jazzy guitar and drum lead up that fuses with some beautiful strings. Great percussion. Dark conclusion.
11. (3:27) *** Awesome awesome awesome drums on this. I can't get enough. Transitions into ambience for the last third of the song
12. (8:05) ** Ooooh here it is. Absolutely captivating vocal samples with a pounding beat. Strings and synth textures slowly overtake the vocals and drums for a smooth finish. I can't wait to take the journey again.
Reviewed by Muscat
|5.||Simple Creatures||11.||Sunna / Show Me|
|6.||Cant / Goosemother||12.||Birdlife|