|Boreal Sons / Threadbare|
|Add Date:||2013-11-07||Pull Date:||2014-01-09|
|Week Ending:||17 Nov|
|1.||Nov 13, 2013:||Meow After Midnight |
Boreal Sons/Threadbare/self - |
Fairly run-of-the-mill indie rock with a lot of pop influences. Most tracks sound similar and are very piano heavy. Occasionally gets swirly and vocals are really sentimental/love-song ish. The slower tracks sound like The Shins trying their hands at making slow baby-making music but there isn’t too much variation from that theme. Major chords and climactic refrains are present in the first half of the album too. I do get a weird vibe that a lot of tracks could find a home on a Shane Carruth film but they’re a little too sentimental. No FCCs, RIYL: The Shins, maybe Beach House but not really, ……... Coldplay. Reviewed by Alan
1. Bloom - 3:43 - Starts with quiet piano. Drums and strings come in to create a pretty, optimistic feel. Matures at the end with stronger guitars playing off piano melody.
2. Sparks - 3:29 - Lush guitars and friendly rhythms. Fairly pop-y indie vocals and happy.
3. Quietly Awake - 4:23 - Starts slow, with massive drums and builds until you reach the many swirly/climactic indie pop choruses/verses.
4. Refrain - 4:30 - Starts slow too. Sentimental ballad-y and gets louder/climactic but doesn’t really speed up like the previous track.
5. The Falconer - 5:00 - A little eerie/sing-songy with steady drums and piano. Lots of texture and sound at the end. Strong vocals throughout, rising from beginning sing-song.
6. Sawdust - 4:40 - Super pop-y. Piano is on the track, guitar adds the upbeat feel, but it is predominantly sentimental until the end when it swells. Vocals are still standard indie pop.
7. Ingrid - 2:36 - Somewhat upbeat and has some electronic bass. Vocal harmonies and ballad-y.
8. Coward - 5:02 - Piano featured throughout. Horns come in too. A little swirly and has effects-laden guitars occasionally.
9. Tremble - 4:16 - Starts off like the title. Sentimental. Piano and textures.
10. Secret Keeper - 4:47 - Very slow and piano heavy. Glinting synths make for some interesting texture.
11. We Were Hiding - 4:58 - More rock on this track, but vocals say otherwise. Horns are featured and it does sound pretty.
|5.||The Falconer||10.||Secret Keeper|
|11.||We Were Hiding|