|Toure, Sidi / Alafia|
|Label:||Thrill Jockey Records|
|Add Date:||2013-11-21||Pull Date:||2014-01-31||Charts:||Reggae/World|
|Week Ending:||26 Jan||19 Jan||5 Jan||22 Dec||24 Nov|
|1.||Jan 25, 2014:||Music Casserole |
Waayey : The Butcher
|4.||Jan 17, 2014:||The Songsmith Show |
La Paix : Peace
|2.||Jan 25, 2014:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
Annour El Sahel : The Light Of Sahel
|5.||Jan 16, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
La Paix : Peace
|3.||Jan 18, 2014:||BravoMarco Variety Show |
|6.||Jan 03, 2014:||World Tour |
Boro Ganda : My Land
Fourth release from the Malian blues musician. Forced to record the album in France due to the tense political situation in Mali, Toure sings about peace and human rights. Each song has the same basic elements (with some extra instrumentation every now and then) of guitar, male vocals, backing group vocals, and clicking percussion. Most of the songs are sung in Songhai, but there is some French and English interspersed. |
PLAY ANYTHING. Everything on this album is entrancing, accessible, and emotionally affecting. Particular favorites: 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11. No FCCs
Similar artists/releases: Vieux Farka Toure, Dustin Wong
1. (5:51) ** Up-tempo, beautiful intricate guitar work with group vocals and clattering percussion. A fluid, rhythmic, folk song.
2. (5:25) * Up-tempo. Cool, unexpected, electric guitar solo midway through
3. (5:49) * Mid-tempo. Colorful cascading guitar playing
4. (5:10) *** Up-tempo. Definitely the bluesiest song on the album, great bass line and guitar riffs.
5. (7:40) ** Begins down-tempo. Opens with some flute playing and gentle guitar strums. Drumless. Then breaks out into a groove at about 2:50. Intricate, hectic guitar.
6. (5:38) * Up-tempo. Bright with lush instrumentation
7. (4:16) Down-tempo. Guitar with flute. Drumless.
8. (3:22) * Up-tempo. Really dexterous guitar playing
9. (4:04) ** Up-tempo Begins with cool, bare, rattling percussion and then his signature guitar playing. Some English lyrics of “I like you my country”.
10. (5:49) * Mid-tempo. Similar to many of the other songs on here.
11. (3:49) ** Mid-tempo, wonderful guitar
Reviewed by Muscat