|Polica / Shulamith|
|Label:||Mom + Pop|
|Add Date:||2014-01-31||Pull Date:||2014-04-04|
|Week Ending:||6 Apr||30 Mar||23 Mar||16 Mar||9 Mar||2 Mar||23 Feb||16 Feb|
|1.||Thu, 21 May 15:||DJ Muscat|
A Visit From Drum
|4.||Thu, 03 Apr 14:||Mister Esquire|
|2.||Sat, 12 Jul 14:||Scout and Skipper|
|5.||Sat, 29 Mar 14:||Eme O|
|3.||Thu, 01 May 14:||Arcana|
|6.||Fri, 21 Mar 14:||DJ Muscat|
A Visit From Drum
This band made some waves with their 2012 debut and here further develop their fusion of r n'b, electronic, and indie pop music. Each song has effect-laden female vocals, bass, two(!) drummers, and synths. Though the band does occupy an interesting niche in the music world, the tracks do tend to get a little same-y over an album listen with similar structures and mood. Favorites: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10. FCC: 8.|
RIYL: Braids, Chelsea Wolfe r n'b, Portishead
1. (4:08) **** Fast. Wonky synths with a slick beat and smokey female vocals. Great, explosive opener. Favorite track.
2. (4:00) * Mid. Sultry vocals. Smooth feel.
3. (4:12) MId. Twinkling synths and swaggering bass. Chorus bursts into drum heavy noise. Last ~45 seconds almost silent ambient toying around.
4. (4:31) Mid. Prominent bass and watery textures.
5. (4:45) ** Ominous low synths. Builds and falls. One of the more dynamic songs on thew album.
6. (4:28) ** Mid to fast. Off-kilter drum beat with smoky vocals. Slinky track.
7. (4:16) ** Start and stop groove. Clever drumming.
8. (4:26) Mid. FCC "fuck". Features the now ubiquitous Justin Vernon (this makes them one degree of separation from Kanye….and Colin Stetson).
9. (3:03) ***Fast. Opens with distorted club beat. Definitely a different mood for this band, but nice change of pace. Great drumming.
10. (4:58) * Tom-heavy, frantic drums. Switches into a sultry groove. Spacey drum led transition before returning to the main song.
11. (4:39) Playful vocals with interwoven drums and bass. Nice track.
12. (3:37) Dark, atmospheric synth textures with a skewed beat.
|1.||Chain My Name||7.||Trippin|
|5.||Very Cruel||11.||I Need $|