|Various Artists / Local Grind, The|
|Album:||Local Grind, The||Collection:||General|
|Add Date:||2014-01-09||Pull Date:||2014-03-13|
|Week Ending:||16 Feb||2 Feb||19 Jan|
|1.||Feb 09, 2014:||Thats Not Bluegrass |
Just Another Woman
|3.||Jan 17, 2014:||The Songsmith Show |
I Don't Mind
|2.||Feb 01, 2014:||Chillin' With Diego |
|4.||Jan 16, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
Red Winged Blackbird
This is a compilation of artists performing at a coffee shop. As such, it has a very stripped down, amateur feel to it. Some of the artists were better than others. Some are sad, some are funny, some are odd. My favorite was Scott Patrick Little — tracks 13 and 14. He seemed to me the most experienced and talented. |
Best tracks: 3, 8, 13, 14.
A couple of FCCs are noted.
1. (2:31) Quirky, playful storytelling; feel-good stuff.
2. (1:36) Experiments with different tempos but it’s mostly fast.
3. (1:36) ***Fast paced guitar; a song you’d want to skip to.
4. (3:12) Mid tempo; silly tone.
5. (3:59) Sappy, post break up song. Singer’s voice is slightly whiny.
6. (4:22) A clichéd track about yearning for someone.
7. (2:02) FCC obscene. Irreverent. Throaty male voice.
8. (3:28) ***Pleasing acoustic guitar work.
9. (4:35) Depressing, poetic, visual lyrics complemenpted by picking of the ukulele.
10. (3:27) FCC. Mildly upbeat and chipper. A polemic about Republicans.
11. (3:34) An observation of the mundanities of life.
12. (3:52) Goofy, charming, melodic.
13. (3:42) ***Guitar picked ballad. Very soothing.
14. (5:22) ***Unlike the ones before, this one features harmonicas and shakers. Beautiful in a nostalgic way — a great listen.
15. (4:24) Pitchy singer. Slow and cheesy.
16. (5:07) Sung with a drawl. Gloomy tone.
17. (3:42) Interesting voice. Ballad that verges on saccharine and melodramatic.
18. (5:24) Refreshing, mellow. Percussions and piano only.
19. (6:38) High energy drumming.
20. (4:36) Reminds me a bit of Hotel California.