|Sebadoh / Defend Yourself|
|Add Date:||2014-01-17||Pull Date:||2014-03-21|
|Week Ending:||9 Mar||2 Mar||16 Feb||9 Feb||2 Feb||26 Jan|
|1.||Thu, 05 May 16:||Ogrelord|
|4.||Thu, 06 Mar 14:||Lestrygonian|
|2.||Thu, 10 Apr 14:||Eliza & Zoe|
The Peninsula Report
|5.||Thu, 06 Mar 14:||Eliza & Zoe|
|3.||Fri, 07 Mar 14:||Francis D|
|6.||Fri, 28 Feb 14:||Francis D|
Sebadoh – Defend Yourself|
(Lo-fi) Indie Rock. Self-produced, self-recorded, first full-length album after 14-year hiatus. Male vox. Drums, Guitar, Bass, the usual. Songs to mark the ending of a relationship, the turning of a page, the music interestingly upbeat considering the ‘down’ tone of the words. Nothing groundbreaking, but a comfortable grungy sound that grew on me with repeated listens. Mostly up- or mid-tempo. Possible FCC on #3. -–eme o.
*1. I Will [3:57] Up-tempo, kinda cheerful. Sounds like a 90s band, but I can’t remember exactly which one.
2. Love You Here [3:34] Mid-tempo, moody atmosphere.
*3. Beat [4:13] Aggressive drums, muddy sound, echo-y voice. Possible FCC: “Asses”
4. Defend Yr Self [3:13] Wall of sound, angry but not aggressive.
5. Oxygen [3:22] There’s that cheerful 90s sound again. I think it might be REM.
*6. Once [2:55] Instrumental. Alternates between three rhythms, one staccato, one kinda… triumphant?, one sort of flowy.
*7. Inquiries [2:02] Doomy opening, then fast stumblebum rhythm, sort of Primus-y.
8. Calves of Champions [3:44] Fast. Little bit country music, little bit folky vocal
9. Final Days [4:22] I honestly don’t know what to say about this one. It’s okay. It matches.
10. Can’t Depend [4:23] Mid-tempo. Smooth sound (less jangle, something of a relief I’ll admit).
11. Let It Out [4:30] Slow-ish. Sad-dish. Sounds like resignation.
*12. Listen [3:38] Still slow-ish, still sad-dish, but sounds more like bargaining.
13. Separate [2:00] Back to fast, angry-ish tone.
|2.||Love You Here||8.||State Of Mine|
|4.||Defend Yr Self||10.||Can't Depend|
|5.||Oxygen||11.||Let It Out|