|Cherry, Neneh / Blank Project|
|Add Date:||2014-03-21||Pull Date:||2014-05-23|
|Week Ending:||25 May||18 May||11 May||4 May||27 Apr||20 Apr||13 Apr||6 Apr|
|1.||Apr 15, 2022:||Down the Rabbit Hole (rebroadcast from Apr 12, 2014) |
|4.||May 21, 2014:||Meow After Midnight |
|2.||Jul 24, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
|5.||May 17, 2014:||Live Your Life |
Across The Water
|3.||May 25, 2014:||The Sunset Life |
|6.||May 16, 2014:||A Visit From Drum |
Neneh Cherry / Blank Project / Smalltown Supersound|
Electronic / acoustic / soul / rock / funk behind a compelling voice
Acoustic kit and synthetic-effect bass combine with raw vocal talent and spare orchestration for an unforgettable indie soul /funk album. Compelling song structure and electronic rock-influenced beats. A fantastic album of genre exploration and just-centered-enough songs.
RIYL: Ava Luna, Four Tet, Little Dragon, Robyn,
Janelle Monae, Lykke Li
1. 3:29 * Sparse also vox, African hand drum and wooden shakers, inexplicable speed-up slow-down of beat for a few measures. Meaning-laden feminist Judeo-Christian-influenced lyrics.
2. 4:05 ** “ass” at 1:17 Synth 8-bit bass, frenetic jazz-inspired drums, synth ringing bell, frantic vox, cash-register-bell cymbal hits. Dissonant guitar drone, lyrics describe a young hectic couple, marching snare fills. Excellent!
3. 3:57 Synth snare & triangle stuttering intro & outro, synth key fills, striving hopeful lyrics, chanting chorus, wild tribal feeling, synth string interlude.
4. 4:19 Droning down tempo synth bass, R&B beat, sexy vox, lyrics seductive yet repelling, fever & addiction
5. 5:47 Distorted synth power chords, rim click bossa, just enough cowbell, Motown-Pop chorus, 6/8 bridge, empowering lyrics
6. 4:10 * Electronic / acoustic kit funk beat, and soul vox. Later, bass clave w/ hats marching cadence and syncopated vox. Stuttering vox over stuttering keys and synth pad. Excellent piece of music!
7. 5:21 FCC throughout, Down tempo Gamelan sound, synth building atmosphere, sultry vox, cymbal rolls
8. 5:15 Up beat rock beat, alarm-like bass, second younger vox, sparse track with cool bass solo
9. 5:12 ** Intro: naked storytelling vocal with syncopated straight rimclicks, followed by building bass into EDM-style dance beat and vox that makes you want to jump up. Closes with a ghostly howl; don’t miss.
10. 7:21 FCC @ 1:39, Muted-trumpet effect vox throughout, Dance hi-hat, blues rock vox, dense synth pads for a wall-of-sound, encapsulating feel. Mad laughing.
|1.||Across The Water||6.||Cynical|
|3.||Naked||8.||Out Of The Black (Ft. Robyn)|
|4.||Spit Three Times||9.||Dossier|