|Sun Kil Moon / Benji|
|Artist:||Sun Kil Moon||Added:||03/2014|
|Add Date:||2014-04-04||Pull Date:||2014-06-06|
|Week Ending:||8 Jun||25 May||11 May||4 May||27 Apr||20 Apr||13 Apr|
|1.||Apr 20, 2017:||Music for Misfits |
Ben's My Friend
|4.||Nov 09, 2015:||Fishbowl: Starry Eyes |
|2.||Jan 28, 2016:||All Passion No Technique |
|5.||Mar 05, 2015:||The Sunset Life |
|3.||Jan 21, 2016:||All Passion No Technique |
Ben's My Friend
|6.||Jan 15, 2015:||The Sunset Life (Best of 2014, Part 3) |
I Watched The Film The Song Remains The Same
Mark Kozelek’s music has changed significantly over his 25-year music career, but his sudden shift to an almost uncomfortably literal lyrical style on 2012’s Among the Leaves came as a complete surprise. Any fears about this jump, though, should be assuaged by Kozelek’s most openly autobiographical (and popular, oddly!) album. The songs here generally consist of classically played guitar and vocals, but even with such minimal instrumentation Kozelek continues to be one of the most evocative and riveting musical artists alive. This is dark, devastating, reflective, and beautiful stuff—might give refreshing meaning to the problematic term “folk music.” Favorites: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8. FCC WARNING: 4, 7, 9, 10, 11.|
1. *(6:56)—Slow, serene, hypnotic guitar line. About the death of Kozelek’s second cousin. Features Will Oldham (and so do the next two songs).
2. *(3:59)—Medium-slow, cloudy day feel. Lovely ode to mothers.
3. *(3:56)—Medium-slow, sad. About Kozelek’s uncle. Guitar style is especially classical here.
4. (5:37)—FCC (f***, definitely obscene). About Kozelek’s early sexual experiences. Be a good DJ and skip this.
5. *(4:08)—Medium-slow. About the apathy surrounding American shootings. Really moving and intense.
6. (3:34)—Bright, simple keyboards provided by Owen Ashworth (Casiotone for the Painfully Alone). About a family friend going to prison.
7. (6:16)—FCC (s***). Mid-tempo, minimal, rocking. About Kozelek’s relationship with his father.
8. *(10:31)—Faster. Kozelek goes all the way here and runs through his entire life, from being “a melancholy kid” to starting Red House Painters to recently visiting the founder of 4AD. Overwhelming, immersive…as Your Imaginary Friend wrote on the station copy of another recent Kozelek album, good god almighty. Masterpiece.
9. (5:35)—FCC (f***, probably obscene). Kozelek gets anxious. Skip for radio.
10. (6:07)—FCC (f***). Absolutely breathtaking song, largely about a few people Kozelek knew and a couple unrelated deaths. Gorgeous melody. Even if you don’t play this one on air, give it a listen sometime.
11. (5:17)—FCC (s***). Mid-tempo lite rock—I’m ambivalent about this one. Mostly about Kozelek’s relationship with Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie.
|2.||I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love||7.||I Love My Dad|
|3.||Truck Driver||8.||I Watched The Film The Song Remains The Same|
|4.||Dogs||9.||Richard Ramirez Died Today Of Natural Causes|
|5.||Pray For Newtown||10.||Micheline|
|11.||Ben's My Friend|