|Ludwig, Gene / Pat Martino Trio / Young Guns|
|Artist:||Ludwig, Gene / Pat Martino Trio||Added:||04/2014|
|Add Date:||2014-04-25||Pull Date:||2014-06-27||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||8 Jun||1 Jun||18 May||11 May||4 May||27 Apr|
|1.||Jul 01, 2014:||Eclectic Erudition week 01 summer '14 |
Who Can I Turn To?, Colossus
|4.||May 29, 2014:||Rebop |
Close Your Eyes
|2.||Jun 05, 2014:||Rebop |
Who Can I Turn To?
|5.||May 15, 2014:||Rebop |
|3.||May 31, 2014:||Music Casserole |
|6.||May 13, 2014:||More Good Good |
GENE LUDWIG/PAT MARTINO TRIO: Young Guns|
ORGAN TRIO – Hot, raw, live recordings from the late 1960s, never before released. The audio quality is low-fi, and I really wish we could hear the drums better, but Martino’s peerless rapid-fire bop guitar technique and Ludwig’s punchy, soulful B3 swing shine right through the murk, especially on the uptempo numbers. Check it out.
Fo’s Picks: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7
1. 13:41 – easygoing groove, everybody stretches out and gets comfortable
2. 8:19 – quick, slippery glide through a Coltrane tune. Martino just kills it!
3. 12:58 – another long, relaxed blues jam: guitar sings, organ rabbit-punches
4. 9:27 – sweet bossa nova sway… but the solos still heat up a bit
5. 12:26 – burning standard: long streams of guitar notes, insistent organ solo
6. 8:01 – Wes Montgomery with a Latin touch; a mellow tune, but solos drive
7. 12:01 – the only recording to date of this burning Martino original: oblique theme, then the solos take off and never look back. A real workout.
[ Fo ] - 24 April 2014
|1.||Who Can I Turn To?||4.||Watch What Happens|
|2.||Mr. P.C.||5.||Close Your Eyes|
|3.||Sam Sack||6.||Road Song|