|Various Artists / Hyperdub 10.1|
|Add Date:||2014-06-20||Pull Date:||2014-08-22||Charts:||RPM/Electronica|
|Week Ending:||17 Aug||27 Jul||6 Jul|
|1.||Thu, 23 Jan 20:||the amateur|
|4.||Thu, 21 May 15:||DJ Away|
The Sunset Life
|2.||Thu, 30 Jul 15:||lionel hutz|
|5.||Thu, 12 Feb 15:||DJ Away|
The Sunset Life
|3.||Thu, 18 Jun 15:||lionel hutz|
|6.||Sun, 04 Jan 15:||lionel hutz|
the springfield law review (best of 2014)
coll: Hyperdub 10.1|
WOW. GREAT 2-DISC COMPILATION FROM Hyperdub featuring old songs and new ones from serious heavy hitters [Mala, DJ Rashad, DJ Earl, Ikonika, Kode9] to celebrate the London-based label’s 10 year anniversary. Lots of ghetto house, chicago juke, footwerk, dubstep, uk bass, etc. Characterized by fast (150-160) BPMS, kick drums, syncopation, snares, claps, and low frequencies.
FCC: 1-7, 1-12, 2-1
Picks CD1: 1, *3*,5,7,*10*, 11,15, CD2: 2,3,6,7,12,14,15,16,*17* [wow I really like this comp]
*1. (3:55) Dark but bouncy low frequencies. Old school dubstep. Cuts to 80’s synthy sample for a hot minute, and then returns to the bassment.
2. (5:27) Repetitive bass + skittering snares. Syncopated synths come in too. The track that gets played in between djs. Some cowbell too...
**3.(4:29) Mala brings the dark & evil vibes. Plodding bass & melancholic synths. TOM, PLAY THIS!
4. (3:43) Snare-y dubstep with a warm but distant vibe. For snowy, late-nite walks through industrial areas.
*5. (3:39) Label boss Kode9. Faster bass with snares, drum machines, and synths. Punchy.
6. (3:04) Snare anthem! Trap like tempo + sounds. Very dark still though.
*7. FCC (3:17) British rap about ambushing, over dark & grimey dubstep. Slightly shimmery ;)
8. (2:59) FOOTWERK (faster tempo + bouncy synths) HERE WE GO. “Only the Strongest Survive”-- olde school anthem.
9. (4:01) Old timey sample with buzzing bass and snares
**10. (3:41) Analog video game sounds cut with bass and snares.
*11. (2:39) Female “I’m gonna get you” leads to spacey shit & then hard bass + kicks. Fork yea!
12. FCC (4:14) “I need a blanket cuz I’m cold muthafucka” + bass + old timey samples. Teehee.
13. (4:05) Lots of acid on this faster track with subtle sub-bass from DJ Rashad RIP.
14. (2:38) Spoken sample then bass + crescendoing synths + analog sounds
*15. (2:38) Creepy “watching you” spoken word below dark synths and bass
16. (4:06) Cutesy and wavering synths over not aggressive bass. NOT DARK AT ALL, SUNNY!
1(3:59). FCC fuck Dark/ deep low frequencies of Burial. snares + woodblock, spoken male vox
*2 (3:34). Dancehall/ tribal/ jungle, big drums, synths, and phazered sirens.
*3 (4:05). Low frequencies mixed with Mario noises, claps, and “hey!”
4 (4:36). Low freq cut with snares, repetition, and noises. Kind of boring though.
5. (4:33) Cinematic punchy syncopated drums and violins.
*6. (3:55) Lots of marching band drums, reggaeton progressions & sirens
*7. (4:01) Strong driving drums with nice low frequencies and skitters. ohhh jah
8. (4:54) More video game noises amidst punchy drums, snares, and bass rumble
9. (3:39) Distorted male vox with buzzy bass and synths. sirens. dangerous...
10. (3:01) Spacey synths with shimmery, bass ebbs.
11. (3:41) More video game sounds with squeaks, bumps, and buzzes. Freaky ;)
*12. (2:42) Male rapping vox over punchy bass and dramatic strings
13. (4:35) Faster tempo, syncopated and jumpy synths. Farty…
*14. (3:54) Driving bass, woodpecker synths, chords, and knocking.
*15. (4:18) Minimal jungle beat + synths backed with male rapping.
*16. (4:40) Snares with slowed down melody, fast woodpecker though and bass.
**17. (5:36) Lovely slowed down footwerk song by DJ Rashad RIP.