|Bell, Olga / Krai|
|Artist:||Bell, Olga||Added:||Jul 2014|
|Label:||New Amsterdam Records|
|Add Date:||2014-07-11||Pull Date:||2014-09-12|
|Week Ending:||Aug 31||Aug 24||Aug 17||Aug 3||Jul 27||Jul 20||Jul 13|
|1.||May 13, 2016:||A Visit From Drum (Friday the 13th) |
|4.||Aug 21, 2014:||Homeward Bound |
|2.||Oct 09, 2015:||A Visit From Drum |
|5.||Aug 20, 2014:||Brownian Motion |
|3.||Aug 29, 2014:||Octagonal Banana |
|6.||Aug 14, 2014:||Amber Waves |
Genre: Russia, avant-folk, avant-pop, avant-avant|
Release from Russia-born Dirty Projectors member Olga Bell. Each track is sung in Russian and describes a different region of her homeland. Musically, the record maintains a balance between complexity and accessibility making for an immersive listening experience. Highly recommended. No FCCs.
Others: Bjork, Owen Pallett, of Montreal, Dirty Projectors, Sufjan Stevens
1. (6:53) * Tentative start, almost like an orchestra tuning before gorgeous Russian vocals enter. Bass and simple percussion build a nice groove. Wanders through a few patterns. Beautiful crazy stuff.
2. (4:25) Begins with howls then a deeper register voice accompanied by sparse guitar. Slight folk feel. Strange and dark.
3. (4:35) *** Picks up the pace with some awesome drumming and a brighter melody.
4. (6:13) * Chorale vocals with guitar and violin swells. Mid-tempo electronic beat. Patiently develops in complexity. Wow.
5. (3:02) Mysterious, eerie feel.
6. (3:04) ** Ecstatic vocals, pounding percussion, and hyperactive strings.
7. (3:28) Ominous, tense instrumental build before angelic fem vox enter.
8. (5:14) **** Drum hits and a few vocals then transitions into a near dance groove with schizophrenic snare hits and low pitch shifted vox. Standout track.
9. (2:36) * Cooing vocals and a distinctly foreign flare. One of the most energetic, loudest tracks.
|1.||Krasnodar Krai||5.||Krasnoyarsk Krai|
|2.||Altai Krai||6.||Primorsky Krai|
|3.||Perm Krai||7.||Zabaikalsky Krai|
|4.||Stavropol Krai||8.||Khabarovsk Krai|