|Shy Hunters / O, That I Had Wings|
|Album:||O, That I Had Wings||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Shy Hunters||Added:||Jul 2014|
|Add Date:||2014-08-01||Pull Date:||2014-10-03|
|Week Ending:||Oct 5||Sep 14||Aug 10||Aug 3|
|1.||Oct 09, 2014:||The Fishbowl |
|4.||Sep 12, 2014:||Octagonal Banana |
|2.||Oct 08, 2014:|| In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand |
|5.||Aug 09, 2014:||Fishbowl |
|3.||Oct 01, 2014:||Narnia |
|6.||Aug 07, 2014:||Binders full of sopranos |
“O, That I Had Wings”: Shy Hunters|
This is the first album from a new Brooklyn-based boy/girl duo. They’re styling themselves as indie pop, and I suppose they are, but parts of some of the songs sound post-punky.
Beautiful soprano female voice soaring on top of drums, limited electronics, and guitar. Songs are generally slow, mounting builds. The guitar often plays a countermelody. Often the first minute of one of their songs is distinct from the rest, so listen to at least the first two minutes to get a sense of whether you want to play it. Good lyrics.
Definitely check this out if you get a chance.
1) “Echoes” (4:22): pretty brilliant poppy chorus.
2) ** “Time Bomb” (5:24): FCC: FUCK. Strong post-punk influences on this one. First minute of this one isn’t poppy at all. Vocalist mostly just talks. Then we get a bass line and the song picks up. Only during safe harbor.
3) “Raise Voices” (5:20): Cool, chill, Warpainty first minute; then the guitar touches down and it picks up speed.
4) “Right World” (5:17): Electronic first minute, then a brief hard rocky interlude at the second minute.
5) “Stained Glass House” (3:41): Slower. Big soaring notes above twittering guitar.
6) * “Pure Joy” (5:35): Quick repetitive guitar/drums with more big notes for vocalist. Nice moment around 3:40 when the guitar is allowed to play a larger role. Sound becomes dense, interesting in the last minute.
7) ** “Dead Girls” (5:27): Welcome to the kingdom of dead girls. I have to recommend this song just for that line. Beautiful interlude around 2:15. Some stylized yelling at the end.
8) “Real Love” (3:22): Catchy beginning but I found it a bit repetitive.
9) * “Idle Days” (4:14): Guitar and vocalist share melody for a little while. One of the simpler songs and one of the catchier melodies. More of a quiet pop song.
|1.||Echoes||5.||Stained Glass House|
|2.||Time Bomb||6.||Pure Joy|
|3.||Raise Voices||7.||Dead Girls|
|4.||Right World||8.||Real Love|