|Drug Budget, The / Overpower Afterparty|
|Artist:||Drug Budget, The||Added:||10/2014|
|Add Date:||2014-11-14||Pull Date:||2015-01-16|
|Week Ending:||11 Jan||23 Nov|
|1.||Jan 09, 2015:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
Tradmill Forever, Continue To Live Normal Lives
|2.||Nov 21, 2014:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
The Benefits Of Ignorance
I’ll say it: this album is deeply uncool. It has the stuff from the ‘90s that people have forgotten (swing revival, third-wave ska), and there’s a long terrible song about the Minnesota Vikings. Every song has too much horn, and too much angst vox, and is too loud. But… it’s pretty damned weird, and has some throwback vibe at times… It’s not something you’re proud to like, but it’s weird and likeable, with a lot of soul.|
1. (1:21) ****** Newscast sound bites about "normal life", joined by rock drums halfway thru.
2. (4:29) *** Ska-y, swing-y with Squirrel Nuts Zippers-y shouting… dorky backup with horns, snarky guitar, fem. vox backup... snapping fingers! PRETTY EPIC
3. (3:40) FCC - shit. Surfy bass + HORNS ... douchey relax vox.
4. (1:46) *** Mathy -- cyclic motions. Classical-y instrumental plunking, short.
5. (4:18) *** Honky and angsty -- '90s vibe… loud, tinkly, weird instrumental fade-out.
6. (4:21) *** Schlocky ... honky. "Mom & Dad and Never Gonna Get Back Together" -- sweett fem vox in BG —
7. (6:38) ??? Clip of epic movie with "Mountain" --> dramatic orchestral sounds - into vampy, heavy proggy rockopera ... it is what it is.
8. (5:18) REAL douchey. Sunglasses and Porche... Ugh.
9 (2:35) * Instrumental chugging
10. (3:40) FCC - shit. Barroom pinata [I wrote this down originally, but I don’t know what it means - ed.] dorky stomper.
11. (4:27) Acoustic, shitty, about Minnesota Vikings.
12 Hidden track; who cares.