|Hiss Golden Messenger / Lateness Of Dancers|
|Album:||Lateness Of Dancers||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Hiss Golden Messenger||Added:||11/2014|
|Add Date:||2014-11-07||Pull Date:||2015-01-09|
|Week Ending:||11 Jan||21 Dec||14 Dec||7 Dec||30 Nov||23 Nov||16 Nov|
|1.||Jan 15, 2015:||The Sunset Life (Best of 2014, Part 3) |
Black Dog Wind (Rose Of Roses
|4.||Dec 19, 2014:||Time Traveler |
|2.||Jan 09, 2015:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
Lateness Of Dancers
|5.||Dec 17, 2014:||A-philiac |
Mahogany Dread, Saturday's Song, Lucia
|3.||Jan 09, 2015:||Time Traveler (Top 34 Pre-Show) |
|6.||Dec 11, 2014:||Mountain Music |
BEST ALT-COUNTRY OF THE CENTURY!|
Hiss Golden Messenger, the project of songwriter Michael Taylor, consistently delivers old-school country-rock with soulful, uplifting narratives and lush production. Imagine Townes Van Zandt taking Neil Young for a joyride, with a backing band stolen from the last Songs: Ohia record. At turns anguished and honest or allegorically cryptic, this album is less jesus-y than his previous two albums, but no less well-crafted, even catchier in some parts than ever before.
FCC Clean. You’ll fancy this if you enjoy: acoustic guitars, songwriters, voices, songs about love and/or life
Every song is great, but if you want favorites, you really can’t go wrong with 1, 2, 3, and 8.
1. (3:11) an easygoing gallop of a tune, upbeat wah-wah guitar lead punctuates a laidback, crooning melody.
2. (4:36) a song about getting drunk on a Saturday night, oddly bittersweet despite the completely carefree subject matter
3. (4:06) the lead single for completely obvious reasons—poignant and soulful, Taylor rocks gently and meditates on the tumultuous contradictions of human nature, mostly drawn from observations of his infant daughter. “The more she knows, the more she cries.” Powerful stuff.
4. (5:30) Toddler introduces the title, and a slow, meditative piano ballad plods along.
5. (5:20) Even slower ballad, single acoustic guitar and female backup vocalist accompany
6. (2:51) Stompin’ country-rock scorcher, heavily swung, loud, electric, yet still heartfelt and introspective
7. (4:30) a gentle waltzing ballad, calm and contemplative
8. (4:53) another upbeat rocker, HGM at his catchiest, even funkiest?
9. (4:47) more piano-based balladry, gentle string section backup towards the end
10. (3:08) wistful old-timey ballad featuring fiddle and banjo, quite gorgeous
|1.||Lucia||6.||I'm A Raven (Shake Children)|
|2.||Saturday's Song||7.||Black Dog Wind (Rose Of Roses|
|3.||Mahogany Dread||8.||Southern Grammar|
|4.||Day O Day (A Love So Free)||9.||Chapter & Verse (Ione's Song)|
|5.||Lateness Of Dancers||10.||Drum|