|Monkey Power Trio, The / Ballad Of Christian Wolfcock, The|
|Album:||Ballad Of Christian Wolfcock, The||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Monkey Power Trio, The||Added:||11/2014|
|Label:||Pochahontas Swamp Machine Recordings|
|Add Date:||2018-09-23||Pull Date:||2018-11-25|
|Week Ending:||25 Nov||18 Nov||28 Oct||21 Oct|
|1.||Nov 20, 2018:||Hot Probs |
Olympus Mons, Gordon Muir, Time Traveler
|3.||Oct 24, 2018:||w/e |
Gordon Muir, Time Traveler
|2.||Nov 17, 2018:||Music Casserole |
|4.||Oct 17, 2018:||The Library |
The Ballad Of Christian Wolfcock is the latest release by the mysterious lo-fi art rock Michigan band, The Monkey Power Trio. The Ballad Of Christian Wolfcock is a collection of recordings produced between 2014 and 2015 that has been just released for mass distribution on vinyl (if you visit their website, the entire catalogue is available for free in MP3 format). The record came with a note that read: “Diego Aguilar used to play our stuff. He even interviewed us once, but he graduated. Please tell us you replaced him with someone good.” Cool weird stuff.|
Something else from the press release:
This band of brothers crosses into some American Hades or another and snatches tunes from the aether, making confusing little melodies that become the actual 1s and 0s or vinyl grooves which you hereby consume. Year after year, they just do their duty, which they have stupidly put upon themselves, and heed the call to play through the hate. Maybe when they are long dead, and the laughter has stopped, will their road of trials lead to their mythic birth as heroes of art and music and hope.
RIYL: Mr. Bungle, King Missile, Cheer-Accident
FCC WARNING: 8 [FCC?]
Recommended Tracks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
1. (2:09) Bottom of the Lake – Slow/medium tempo. Lo-fi balladesque rocker. Gets louder and screamy towards the end.
2. (2:32) *** Gordon Muir, Time Traveler – Medium tempo. Metal guitars, random vocals styles singing and talking about different things. Solid piece. Early 1990s college radio forever.
3. (3:15) ** Feed Your Hunger – Medium tempo. Chill 1970s rock influenced track. Stylish recorded primitivism. I dig the cheap organ solo.
4. (1:20) ** Deadhand Button – Medium tempo art rock ballad. It’s the end of the world and you know it.
5. (2:30) ** Black Wig – Medium tempo groovy cut with average basement sweat on their backs and Greenwich Village on their minds. Me gusta.
6. (2:21) * Under The River – Medium tempo. More 1970s rock infatuation a la Southern rock with strange sound effects.
7. (3:09) *** Olympus Mons – Slow/Medium tempo. Another art rock ballad with imaginative vocal parts.
8. (2:44) Hello Cleveland – FCC? [Ass, ballsack]. Medium – Slow tempo baladesque tune with great attitude and sax/organ interventions and more crazy vocals.
|1.||Bottom Of The Lake||5.||Black Wig|
|2.||Gordon Muir, Time Traveler||6.||Under The River|
|3.||Feed Your Hunger||7.||Olympus Mons|
|4.||Deadhand Button||8.||Hello Cleveland|