|Arca / Xen|
|Add Date:||2014-12-12||Pull Date:||2015-02-13|
|Week Ending:||Feb 8||Feb 1||Jan 25||Jan 18||Jan 11||Jan 4||Dec 28||Dec 21|
|1.||May 27, 2017:||Ode to Year Two |
Now You Know
|4.||Aug 30, 2016:||Life Aquatic |
|2.||Apr 15, 2017:||Reckless Burning |
|5.||Oct 02, 2015:||Know Tomorrow Stanford featuring Al Gore |
Thievery, Family Violence
|3.||Mar 11, 2017:||Reckless Burning |
Now You Know
|6.||Feb 06, 2015:||Electric Outlet (2/6) |
genre: the jetsons as told by rosie the robot, electronic, human computer interaction |
Off-kilter electronica from this Venezuelan producer. Garnered praise for a couple of EPs he’s dropped and work with FKA Twigs and Kanye West (on Yeezus). Xen is his debut full-length and it has some really stunning pockets of sound. Often straddles the line between ambient music and abstract hip-hop. The soundtrack to a much more menacing director’s cut of “Her”.
No FCCs (all instrumental). Favorites: 9, 1, 6, 3, 2, 13
Others: SD Laika, FKA Twigs, Evian Christ, Oneohtrix Point Never, Burial
1. (3:58) **** Gooey synths. Turns into a slinky beat with some really cool use of found sounds and distorted samples. Super great mood setter for the rest of the album.
2. (1:20) ** Sentimental tone. Short and gorgeous. Works well as a precursor to the next track.
3. (3:19) *** Sinister sample. Oscillates between really dense instrumentation and blissed out synth work. Industrial edge toward the end.
4. (1:56) ** Pensive…peaceful…the mind control is beginning to take hold
5. (2:22) ** Interesting melody paired with relatively straightforward drums.
6. (2:12) ** Almost chopped & screwed feel to this. Vocal samples dance along the outskirts, barely in view
7. (3:40) Begins with wandering synth…then doesn’t really develop much over the course of the track. Pretty enough, but not essential.
8. (2:14) * Anxious strings. Could work as a cool lead up to the next track.
9. (2:34) **** Oh yes. Arca’s trump card. One of my favorite tracks of the year. Play play play.
10. (2:56) ** Some super cool textures and loopy synths in this one. Deconstructs itself in last ~30 seconds.
11. (2:08) ** Noisy opening turns into a strangely glitchy groove. Disorientation never tasted so good.
12. (2:10) * Doleful orchestral Burial-core. Ghastly gorgeous.
13. (2:52) ** Heavy beginning bursts into hyperactive wonky then saturated synth mayhem For the brave of heart
14. (2:59) Slightly meandering without any truly interesting textures. Skippable.
15. (2:52) Metallic and tense. Noisy steam drenched industrial
|1.||Now You Know||8.||Family Violence|
|6.||Slit Thru||13.||Bullet Chained|