|Tropics, The / Wind House|
|Add Date:||2015-02-06||Pull Date:||2015-04-10|
|Week Ending:||5 Apr||22 Mar||15 Mar||8 Mar||1 Mar||22 Feb||15 Feb|
|1.||Apr 01, 2015:||Gegencang Show |
The New King Of California, Sleepless, Fireproof
|4.||Mar 13, 2015:||Time Traveler (Friday the 13th) |
|2.||Mar 19, 2015:||Mountain Music |
You I Want
|5.||Mar 10, 2015:||Emergency Crew fill in for Ramses |
Sons & Daughters
|3.||Mar 17, 2015:||The Fishbowl |
|6.||Mar 05, 2015:||Meow |
Local summery indie pop with soulful female vocalist. The Tropics are a five-piece that recently opened for Avi Buffalo. They had a great energy live, but unfortunately this release just does not stand out to me. Singer Claire George has a lovely and intriguing voice, like a smokier version of that one British pop singer… uh… Duffy, was her name? But for the most part, the backing band is kind of your average sunny guitar-driven indie pop. Moreover, the mixing makes it hard to understand the lyrics at key moments that could have enhanced these melodies.
FCCs: none detected. Favorites: 2.
1. (3:13) mid. snares, keys, tambourines. vaguely cheerful, “I never knew one better than you…” ending is underwhelming..
2. *(4:59) mid. darker, scratchier guitar and rolling toms. refrain has what I think is the best hook on this album. George’s voice elevates this tune in particular a great deal. just not a fan of their drummer… too much negative space at the bridge…
3. (3:23) slow to mid. breathier, clearer vocals including lots of “oohs” and “ahhs.” jangly guitars and horns.
4. (3:26) medium slow. static over background vox singing “no one else.” then uplifting acoustic picking, lovey dovey love song stuff.
5. (3:40) mid. poppy, sugary, bright. just ok.
|2.||Sons & Daughters||4.||You I Want|
|5.||The New King Of California|