|Girlpool / Girlpool|
|Add Date:||2015-01-23||Pull Date:||2015-03-27|
|Week Ending:||29 Mar||22 Mar||15 Mar||1 Mar||22 Feb||1 Feb|
|1.||Sat, 25 Mar 17:||Middle School Boyfriend|
|4.||Mon, 13 Apr 15:||Pixel|
|2.||Tue, 24 May 16:||iota|
does radio suck?
|5.||Thu, 26 Mar 15:||Mister Esquire|
|3.||Mon, 27 Apr 15:||Pixel|
|6.||Thu, 19 Mar 15:||Mister Esquire|
Take two teens from LA, add a biting sense of humor and melody, infuse with heartache, and strip down to bass and guitar. This is Girlpool on their s/t EP. Artists Cleo and Harmony sing and harmonize with the nasal indignance and passion of a female Paul Baribeau. All songs are short, clever portraits drawn from topics like mind games and sexuality with some social commentary thrown in. Intimate, raw, entertaining. Looking forward to more.
For fans of Marine Girls, Vivian Girls, Paul Baribeau, Kimya Dawson, Cherry Glazerr.
FCC warnings 1, 6, 7. Favorites (*): 1, 4, 6
1. *(2:06) FCC WARNING (lots). mid. solid, plucky bass and brief guitar solo. boys and the art of playing hard to get.
2. (2:50) slow then fast. foreboding, lonesome drawling. picks up in the middle and becomes a more determined chorus, a more self-assured
3. (0:36) slow, then double time. funny. blink and you miss it…
4. *(2:43) slow. more drawling, simple three-chord stuff that is sad and pretty and contemplative without being sappy. “it’s hard to see things simply/when my thoughts are evoked within me.”
5. (2:06) mid. the girls play storyteller. folky though still electric, whiny, twangy.
6. *(2:41) FCC WARNING (fuck). medium-slow reserved picking provides a nice backdrop for the higher-sung notes. lyrics are witty and awesome in unadorned honesty. “I go to school every day/just to be made a housewife someday.”
7. (2:19) FCC WARNING (sexual content). medium slow. more hormone-saturated physical longing, delivered in a laid-back high pitch with great confidence. “feeling fine.”
|1.||Blah Blah Blah||4.||Plants And Worms|
|2.||Pain Me Colors||5.||Jane|