|Elephants / Strange Waves|
|Add Date:||2015-01-18||Pull Date:||2015-03-22|
|Week Ending:||22 Mar||15 Mar||1 Mar||22 Feb||15 Feb||8 Feb||1 Feb||25 Jan|
|1.||Nov 30, 2015:||Fishbowl: Kaleidescope Eyes |
|4.||Mar 13, 2015:||Distractions |
The Turtles Were Right
|2.||Mar 24, 2015:||The Fishbowl |
|5.||Mar 12, 2015:||ZoeRadio |
|3.||Mar 19, 2015:||ZoëRadio |
The Turtles Were Right
|6.||Mar 12, 2015:||Meow |
Snowsleds In Valhalla
This is the second album from Boston four piece Elephants. I had never heard of them before, but this album is really great. Reminds me of some of my favorite 90s indie rock (Sebadoh, Built to Spill, Dinasaur Jr.) but with with a girl at the front. Pretty awesome. RIYL: all of the bands I already listed, The Breeders, That Dog, Swirlies.|
Favorites: 1, **2**, 4, 6, **7**, **10**
1. (3:38) Snowsleds In Valhalla - Very much reminds me of YUCK instrumentally, girl has an awesome voice.
2. (2:46) The Turtles Were Right - Uptempo feel good pop-rock. Great melody, more distorted guitar, infectious.
3. (3:24) Shooting Star, Sinking Ship - This almost reminds me of the Pipettes, with a little bit of a vintage feel.
4. (4:01) Dave's Van - This one is super cool. Awesome melodic guitar, lyrics are a little masked by the large fuzzy sound of the guitar.
5. (4:00) Moving Pictures - Faster paced power pop. Distortion effect on the lyrics, mid tempo and minimal on the drums during the verses but steps up to a more jumpy feel on the chorus.
6. (2:20) While You Sleep - Midtempo, simple, sweet and awesome.
7. (4:53) Leeward - Love this one. Uptempo, driving, and yet with that soft and lofi quality of the rest of the album. One of my favorites.
8. (2:55) I Didnt Start Seeing Ghosts Until You Were Gone - Much faster paced with a little more of a garage rock feel. I hear that Breeders influence in this one.
9. (4:13) Flying Vhs - Less lo-fi, fuller sound and the lyrics are great.
10. (3:45) Home Is Where The Weird Is - First of all, awesome title. I dont have a great description of this one, vocals are a little clearer, but it still has a driving urgency and an almost punk vibe...but with the vocal style it cant quite be a punk rock song i guess. Really like it though.
11. (5:08) Sharks (Coda) - Super mellow outro to the album. Very pretty, reminds me of old Built to Spill meandering on the guitar.
|1.||Snowsleds In Valhalla||6.||While You Sleep|
|2.||The Turtles Were Right||7.||Leeward|
|3.||Shooting Star, Sinking Ship||8.||I Didnt Start Seeing Ghosts Until You Were Gone|
|4.||Dave's Van||9.||Flying Vhs|
|5.||Moving Pictures||10.||Home Is Where The Weird Is|