Godfathers Of Twee.
this is part 1 of an anthology (1978-1984).
do you like twee pop? lo-fi? kiwi guitar bands? yes? :you'll love this.
that's all I need to say.
MR. ESQ. SEZ: MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW.
SOUNDS LIKE: THE GO-BETWEENS! (AND: THE CLEAN, THE CHILLS, AZTEC CAMERA, SWELL MAPS, BATS, VERONICA FALLS, TWERPS, WHAT IF LIZ PHAIR HAD A SEX CHANGE, ET AL.)
PLAY: ANY/ALL/RANDOMEOW/IT'S MEOWRIFFIC!
1. PURR-FECT II: the hit. possibly their best known song. it's slow to mid, downbeat jangley, dreamy. the words 'winsome' and 'bittersweet' would have this song playing next to them in a dictionary.
2. PURR-FECT: upbeat, funny, happy=play now! mach meow!
3. live version. fucked up drama crashing with all it's twee might.
4. downbeat jangle lo-fi sad.
5. PURR-FECT II: smoooth...
6. PURR-FECT II: imagine: Johnathan Richman gets all stalkery. dramatic drum part kills.
8. PURR-FECT II: upbeat. smoooth...to Brit punky.
9. smoooth...track 1 dictionary motif=ditto.
10. PURR-FECT II: dark&bassy begin. post-punky. upbeat. Klassic Kiwi gits.
11. PURR-FECT II: Klassic! (but really: beautiful guitars. approximates rain...)
13. noisy and disjointed. dark lo-fi collage.
kinda like The Pop Group.
14. lo-fi shambolic blah blah blah.
15. smoooth...nope: dark&twisted.
16. PURR-FECT II: back to smoooth...with jerky little lo-fi fists made of twee.