San Francisco local Andrew St. James brings us his sophomore album The Shakes. It is pretty awesome, vintage soul feel with some folk and country elements mixed in. Not particularly varied in song style but there wasn't a dud on the record. RIYL: Ryan Adams, Tweedy, Fleet Foxes, Strand of Oaks, Avi Buffalo, Vance Joy, Phosphorescent.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 3, 4, 8, 11…but you can't really go wrong,
1. (3:08) Rosebud - mid tempo, for some reason this really reminds me of early Avi Buffalo, which is AWESOME!!
2. (3:30) Nightmares Pt 17 - Sounds like fleet foxes, super pretty, very indie folk.
3. (4:40) Tapes - Acoustic guitar and vocals only at the beginning, with percussion building in around one minute, I love this one too.
4. (3:54) Years - Down tempo and beautiful, with horns and some cool harmonies.
5. (3:48) Despite All Good Intentions - A little more up beat and poppy. Lots of strumming on the guitar and some ooing harmonies.
6. (3:47) Falling Up - Mid/up tempo, another happy song.
7. (3:46) Stageline - Sunshine indie-folk.
8. (2:57) Allison - More straightforward folk, he has an excellent voice.
9. (4:37) Hollow Soul - Mid tempo folk song. NMH inspired guitar riff.
10. (4:12) Cold War - Another mid tempo folk song.
11. (3:25) Ghost - Slow and intimate folk jam, less production. Really like this one.