|Cookie Tongue / Biotic Rituals|
|Add Date:||2015-03-20||Pull Date:||2015-05-22|
|Week Ending:||17 May||26 Apr||5 Apr|
|1.||Sep 14, 2016:||Oh Messy Motion |
|3.||Apr 21, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [SPQ03] |
|2.||May 14, 2015:||Mountain Music |
|4.||Mar 31, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [W1511] |
Local quirky folk with quivery male vocals, lots of violin and female backing. |
Cookie Tongue play elaborate folky songs that speak of animals, migrating body parts and “the stray urban loneliness of technology.” They use everything from bird chirps to banjos to musical saw, but the bare, unsettling beauty of their work stands out most during the slow exchanges with the least instrumentation. Note: track 3 is all Hebrew.
FCC Clean. Try #1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 if you like… Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, The Lazy Kids, Beirut, Daniel Johnston (in True Love Will Find You), Arcade Fire, Siskiyou
1. **(4:42) medium-slow. lazy sunshine, acoustic picking to gentle beat, weird but intriguing lyrics
2. (3:16) slow. starts like #1. bright dewy nostalgic daydream. and those strings!
3. (5:13) slow w/ mid uptempo sections towards end. this song is in Hebrew. musically sounds like an eerie, eclectic folk tale featuring banjo, violin, choral “ahh”s and eventually even accordion. strange but sort of works.
4. ***(4:22) slow. opens with a wail-like theremin sound which I think is the listed “musical saw.” lonely guitar +violin, bird sounds, vivid unsettling imagery and “ahh-oom” fem chanting. chilling and beautiful.
5. *(4:09) sloow. folk and sorrow. whistling intro, sad strings+accordion, falsetto vox that shake like Fiona Apple unhinged on a stage. RIYL Beirut... but falsetto
6. (7:20) pretty epic with many tempo changes. bird (?) sounds and whispers layered over slow folky/eerie /slightly melancholy instrumental for 2:54 that creeps along until crescendo with Bright-Eyes-esque vocals.
7. **(4:20) slow. simple, pretty, repetitive, unplugged. “I can’t hold back the city streets/caught my hands beneath my feet.”
8. **(3:21) mid. catchy, deceptively chipper, full band. as with #7 I enjoy the simplicity of this structure. ends in Hebrew. remote control remote control remote control remote
9. (2:47) slow. one line of simple electric picking, watery voice etc., minimal drums.
10. **(3:06) slow. see #9. RIYL a Modest Mouse lullaby w/ anxious imagery
|1.||Red||6.||The Three Giants That Stole My Breath|
|2.||Day Was Gone||7.||Color Rise|
|3.||Bushat Shmei Shhorim||8.||Remote Control|
|4.||Grin||9.||Crayon Colored Crows|
|5.||I Wait||10.||Sad House|