|Pop Group, The / Citizen Zombie|
|Artist:||Pop Group, The||Added:||03/2015|
|Label:||Freaks R Us|
|Add Date:||2015-05-02||Pull Date:||2015-07-03|
|Week Ending:||7 Jun||17 May||10 May|
|1.||Dec 18, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand: Best of 2015 [FQ1511-2] |
|4.||May 13, 2015:||Brownian Motion |
The Immaculate Deception
|2.||Jun 02, 2015:||In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand [SPQ07] |
|5.||May 07, 2015:||The Sunset Life |
Age Of Miracles
|3.||May 14, 2015:||A Visit From Drum |
Age Of Miracles
|6.||May 07, 2015:||meow |
Citizen Zombie, the first release from Bristol’s The Pop Group in over 35 years, is an effortless, daring, and inspiring group of songs built around a sound layered with first generation post-punk, ambient-dub, funk rhythms, agitpop sloganeering, and, existentialist declarations played at the speed of paranoia and urgency. For being dormant for so long, The Pop Group sounds like they have never lost their intensity and most especially, their integrity. |
RIYL: Gang of Four, Pere Ubu, The Slits, Urban Verbs, and, Delta 5.
FCC WARNING: 8
Recommended Tracks: 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 10
1. (3:52) Citizen Zombie – Dense intro track. Slow, murky and with a repetitive chorus.
2. (3:48) **Mad Truth – Dancy number with tints of 21st century pop production. Great song!
3. (3:26) *Nowhere Girl – Dub meets industrial. Interestingly strange.
4. (2:45) **Shadow Child – Classic Pop Group sound – rhythm and noise over words with past and present references. Solid.
5. (4:25) *The Immaculate Deception – Music alchemy. Exciting exercise of harsh guitars and distorted vocal effects.
6. (3:56) s.o.p.h.i.a. – Upbeat attempt at pop music. Effective.
7. (3:38) *Box 9 – late 1970’s production approach gives this energetic piece a post-punk attitude. Think Public Image Limited.
8. (3:12) Nations – FCC (shit, fucking). Drum machine beat, catchy guitar riffs, and a long non-stop spoken word narration marinated in urgency.
9. (3:45) St. Outrageous – Another classic Pop Group sound piece. Lots of bouncy guitar parts, sound effects, choppy mobility and auditory chaos.
10. (4:11) **Age Of Miracles – Rhythmic exercise drenched in dub and 21st century pop production. Catchy as hell.
11. (3:01) Echelon – Slow apocalyptical track with whispery vocals.
|2.||Mad Truth||7.||Box 9|
|4.||Shadow Child||9.||St. Outrageous|
|5.||The Immaculate Deception||10.||Age Of Miracles|