This is the 6th studio record from SF locals Vetiver. Truly one of my favorite bands. I have to say that I was ecstatic for this release (the first of theirs in 3 years!!). It is a SUPER mellow record, way more so than past releases, but it does not disappoint. You still get that soothing voice from frontman Andy Cabic that I could listen to for always and some beautiful instrumentation. This is a Vetiver record to listen to while you are lying on the beach in the summer time :) Enjoy!! RIYL: Vetiver, Real Estate, Kurt Vile, Mac Demarco…etc.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 5, 6, 9, 10
1. (7:00) Stranger Still - Mellow electro-pop intro and then Andy's voice comes in and I remember how happy vetiver makes me. This one goes on for a while, it is simple and distant and serene.
2. (3:18) From Now On - This one is a little more typical Vetiver, beautifully simple guitar strumming, effortless vocals, music to drift away to.
3. (3:55) Current Carry - Beachy pop, ticking on the drum machine, twangy guitar.
4. (4:01) Confiding - More folky vibe, this whole super mellow Vetiver vibe is different but I kind of love it.
5. (4:49) Backwards Slowly - Love this one, it has layers of melody and a slight build but mainly it is more of the same.
6. (3:28) Loose Ends - This is the only upbeat track you get on the record and it does not disappoint, great song.
7. (3:46) Shadows Lane - Mid tempo, dreamy pop.
8. (3:14) Time Flies By - This is another lazy beach day song.
9. (6:23) Edgar - Great folk song, another one of my favorites.
10. (3:33) Last Hurrah - This is another great song, more of the same, but this melody really stuck with me. Great end to the album.