|Theesatisfaction / Earthee|
|Label:||Sub Pop Records|
|Add Date:||2015-04-03||Pull Date:||2015-06-05|
|Week Ending:||7 Jun||31 May||24 May||17 May||10 May||3 May||26 Apr||19 Apr|
|1.||Wed, 31 Oct 18:||DJ Aporia|
Being as an ocean
|4.||Thu, 02 Jun 16:||DJ Aporia|
Ode to Year One
|2.||Thu, 25 Oct 18:||DJ Aporia|
Being as an ocean
|5.||Tue, 19 Apr 16:||DJ Aporia|
|3.||Sat, 18 Mar 17:||DJ Aporia|
|6.||Tue, 05 Apr 16:||iota|
does radio suck?
Genre: space soul, jazz rap, afrofuturism|
Cosmic wordplay and wobbly production from this Seattle-based duo. This effort sees them stretch into more expansive ground than their first album. Most of these songs throw away typical soul/hip-hop song structures, sometimes repeating the same mantra-like phrase for the duration of the track. A sister album to Shabazz Palace’s “Lese Majesty” (one of my favorites from last year). Play this for late nights floating through the Milky Way.
Others: Shabazz Palaces, Flying Lotus, Thundercat, Janelle Monae, Hiatus Kaiyote
Favorites: 12, 3, 5, 1, 2, 7, 11…pick any really. FCC: 4, 7
1. (1:41) *** Really cool drum groove with gauzy backdrop. Sultry vocals.
2. (1:57) *** Bright synths. Nice little rap verse before flipping into another soul exploration.
3. (3:21) *** Locked in percussion groove. Really gorgeous vocals and jazzy synth chords.
4. (2:36) FCC :( MMMM this is some nice stuff. Smooth, simple flow and lyrics about others coopting genres. GUEST VERSE FROM ISHMAEL BUTLER awwya.
5. (4:02) *** Muffled deep vocal sample and stilted beat. Cosmic vibes. “My pizzazz”….
6. (4:10) ** Drum machine pastiche…squelchy bass line. Mystical
7. (3:48) FCC. Gorgeous ascending synth. Love the beat on this one. Guest male rapper. Ishmael Butler gets another turn at the wheel.
8. (3:29) ** Odd off-kilter feel. Dark energy and smoky saxophone in the background. A pretty strange track but it grows on me more and more.
9. (3:35) *** Space station synthesizers. Theesatisfaction wax philosophical.
10. (3:38) ** Shaker percussion and more awesome soul vox. Redeem the word “work” (well, WerQ is the track title actually) from Britney Spears.
11. (3:05) **** Creative drumbeat and more of the excellent same. Time to ascend into new galactic planes…
12. (2:39) ****** Oh yes…some awesome mbira and trippy group vocals. More Shabazz Palaces fun. Fluid, exploratory…absolutely brilliant
13. (4:13) *** Nighttime space journey. Great closing track.
|2.||No Gmo||8.||Post Black, Anyway|
|3.||Planet For Sale||9.||Universal Perspective|
|5.||Fetch/Catch||11.||Sir Come Navigate|
|13.||I Read You|