|Xuxa Santamaria / Billionair Rainbow|
|Add Date:||2015-05-02|| ||Pull Date:||2015-07-03|| |
|Week Ending:||5 Jul||31 May||24 May||17 May||10 May|
Billionair Rainbow is the second release by Oakland’s bilingual 21st century art-dance group, Xuxa Santamaria. The duo consists of visual artist and singer, Sofía Córdova (b. Carolina, Puerto Rico) and musician Matt Kirkland (b. New York, NY). Billionair Rainbow is a 1980’s electro pop-inspired recording constructed with synthesizers and computer generated beats offering lots of great melodies, riffs, and noises. Sofía Córdova, aside from delivering sharp, alluring vocals, is also a visual artist responsible for the album artwork and the video art that accompanies this music production - there’s a unique video made for each one of the tracks. |
Here’s something else about the record from the official press release: “This mixtape takes on as its concept questions of our relationship to money, debt, desire, power, revulsion, and, mixed-feelings. It will become available as a limited edition cassette soon and will also be available for free DL online”.
RIYL: Lene Lovich, Violeta Vil, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, Grimes, and, early recording by Mexico’s record label, Nuevos Ricos.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, and 6
1. (3:49) *Conquistador – 1940’s tropical music melody inspired piece with a great synthesizer riff, seductive vocals and a great beat. Play it!
2. (3:47) **Twelfth of Never – Dancy beat, entrancing vocals and overall a great production, makes this track one of my favorites on the album.
3. (4:15) *La Red – Dark, evocative recording with a great melody. It will make Lene Lovich proud.
4. (3:53) Belshazzar – Energetic track with killer keyboard riffs and spare vocals.
5. (4:05) Quintana Roo – Slow poppy track with a beautiful melody and nice vocal effects.
6. (4:05) **Hollywood Babylon – A hypnotic gently built track with minimalist instrumentation and the catchiest chorus I have heard in a while. My favorite track on the record.