|Marcus, Todd Jazz Orchestra / Blues For Tahrir|
|Album:||Blues For Tahrir||Collection:||Jazz|
|Artist:||Marcus, Todd Jazz Orchestra||Added:||06/2015|
|Add Date:||2015-06-19||Pull Date:||2015-08-21||Charts:||Jazz|
|Week Ending:||23 Aug||16 Aug||9 Aug||19 Jul||12 Jul||5 Jul||28 Jun|
|1.||Jun 26, 2021:||Music Casserole (rebroadcast from Aug 8, 2015) |
|4.||Nov 20, 2015:||Arabology |
|2.||May 22, 2021:||Rebroadcast: Music Casserole |
|5.||Aug 20, 2015:||Clean Copper Radio |
Many Moons (Intro), Bousa
|3.||May 15, 2021:||Rebroadcast: Music Casserole |
|6.||Aug 14, 2015:||Rebop |
Todd Marcus Jazz Orchestra – Blues for Tahrir (Hipnotic Records 2014) |
Reviewed by Ramzi S.--All tracks FCC safe
Todd Marcus is one of the few jazz artists worldwide to focus their work exclusively on the bass clarinet. He has recently been exploring Middle-Eastern sounds from his Egyptian-American heritage, culminating in this CD with his Jazz Orchestra. The group’s instrumentation, compositions, and arrangements create a rich sound with music that incorporates straight-ahead jazz with other influences from classical to Middle-Eastern themes.
Tracks: TRY: 5, 7, 10
1. Many Moons (Intro) (1:28) Lush, symphonic intro.
2. Many Moons (9:24) Progresses from tenderness to intensity.
3. Adhan (4:29) Sinuous track evoking the Muslim call to prayer.
4. Reflections (7:38) Contemplative movement
**5. Tears on the Square (4:57) Sad lamentation about Egypt.
6. Protest (6:59) Vigorous track, drum solo, military feel.
**7. Alien (10:13) A vocal piece with pop leanings ft singer Irene Jalenti..
8. Wahsouli (7:42): Arabic for ‘My Arrival.’ Fusion of jazz and Middle Eastern sounds.
9. Summertime (7:55) Transformation of a well known favorite ft Irene Jalenti
**10. Bousa (5:34) Track inspired by Abdel Halim Hafez
|1.||Many Moons (Intro)||6.||Protest|
|5.||Tears On The Square||10.||Bousa|