|Gardner, Jacco / Hypnophobia|
|Label:||Polyvinyl Record Co.|
|Add Date:||2015-11-15||Pull Date:||2016-01-17|
|Week Ending:||17 Jan||10 Jan||3 Jan||27 Dec||20 Dec||13 Dec||6 Dec||29 Nov|
|1.||Jan 22, 2016:||A Visit From Drum |
|4.||Jan 15, 2016:||Moonlight Impressions |
Before The Dawn
|2.||Jan 16, 2016:||Buford J. Sharkley Presents: As Told to Hervey Okkles |
Another You, Find Yourself
|5.||Jan 03, 2016:||Wolfe Calls |
|3.||Jan 15, 2016:||A Visit From Drum |
|6.||Dec 30, 2015:||Music Casserole |
Dutch artist Jacco Gardner’s second album, Hypnophobia, feels more like a score for a gloomy, non-existent picture where every song relates to a particular scene in the imagined film. By emphasizing mood and repetition, Gardner creates a consistent cinematic rhythm that fits well with his take on psychedelic rock and baroque pop. Baroque seems apt because of his interest in saturating his compositions using sounds from antique instruments, such as a Wurlitzer electric piano, mellotrons, harpsichords, and an ancient Optigan, and also for attempting to create a timeless atmosphere where being in a dream state is the norm.|
RIYL: Youth Lagoon, Will Sprott, J. Fernandez, Mikal Cronin, and late Beck.
Recommended Tracks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8
1. (3:58) *Another You – Upbeat tune crafted with semi-acoustic guitar rhythms, synths, and melodramatic vocal parts.
2. (3:07) **Grey Lanes – Instrumental track – haunting melody. Nice guitar and synth riffs. Think mid1970’s late at night miniseries music.
3. (3:07) *Brightly – Another medium-up tempo semi-acoustic tune with catchy chorus.
4. (3:34) *Find Yourself – Absorbing piece of pop music ready to hit the airwaves. Coordinating guitar and synth riff.
5. (3:08) Face to Face – Acoustic guitar, lots of keyboards parts, and a hidden brisk beat buried in the mix are the highlights
6. (4:17) Outside Forever – Another interesting, acoustic-driven track. Notable melody. False ending at minute 3:17. Slow keyboards based epilogue.
7. (8:04) **Before the Dawn – Epic medium tempo, synth-driven baroque pop composition. Halfway through the song, more keyboards are added to the track. Hypnotic.
8. (5:29) **Hypnophobia – Semi-acoustic guitar driven intro with nice intriguing rhythmic build up. Cool whispery vocals. Last two minutes of the song are pure psych-folk extravaganza.
9. (1:38) Make Me See – Short slow piano and vocals-driven tune.
10. (3:46) All Over – Instrumental keyboards driven, slow tempo track. Very 1970’s European movie score music inspired. Fine ending.
|1.||Another You||6.||Outside Forever|
|2.||Grey Lanes||7.||Before The Dawn|
|4.||Find Yourself||9.||Make Me See|
|5.||Face To Face||10.||All Over|