|Mutoid Man / Bleeder|
|Artist:||Mutoid Man||Added:||Jul 2015|
|Add Date:||2015-08-07||Pull Date:||2015-10-09|
|Week Ending:||Oct 11||Oct 4||Sep 20||Aug 30||Aug 16|
|1.||Oct 15, 2015:||What was scene? |
|4.||Oct 01, 2015:||What was scene? |
|2.||Oct 14, 2015:||Home on the Range |
|5.||Sep 17, 2015:||What was scene? |
|3.||Oct 08, 2015:||What was scene? |
|6.||Aug 23, 2015:||Septagonal Banana |
Bleeder is the (unfortunately titled) debut from the (unfortunately named) Brooklyn band Mutoid Man. Featuring Stephen Brodsky on guitar and vocals (Cave In, Hydrahead Records) and Ben Koller on drums (Converge), and recorded by Converge guitarist Kurt Ballou, Mutoid Man is a much more straight-ahead rock record than either of Brodsky’s or Koller’s previous projects. The sound is guitar-driven, shifting easily between melodic 70’s hard rock, thrash, and glistening prog riffing, while maintaining a very punk rawness. The vocals are mostly clean, with a few screams judiciously interspersed. The drumming is propulsive and creative, with excellent use of 6/8 and doubletime. Overall, a terrific record that will be at home on both modern rock and “heavier” music shows. RIYL Queens of the Stoneage, Melvins, Kyuss, good hard rock.|
Favorite tracks: 1,2,3,6,7
1. Bridgeburner 03:02 Slow start into a raucous 6/8 romp, descending guitar riff, catchy chorus.
2. Reptilian Soul 02:52 Faster, mostly 4/4, timeless rock.
3. Sweet Ivy 03:04 Great rhythmic interplay between guitar and drums, catchy.
4. 1000 Mile Stare 02:21 Proggy riffing that switches to a heavy thrash part with blurted screams.
5. Surveillance 01:46 Super heavy opening riff, goes to half-time.
6. Beast 01:58 Really awesome drumming throughout - super catchy chorus.
7. Dead Dreams 02:32 “Gallop” rhythm - gets better and better as it goes.
8. Soft Spot in My Skull 02:24 Squiggly guitar line is a nice counterpoint to the breathing room during the verses and chorus
9. Deadlock 03:11 Similar to track 8 but very different
10. Bleeder 05:54 Slow melodic start, gets heavy, kind of ambling, not the best but far from bad.
|2.||Reptilian Soul||7.||Dead Dreams|
|3.||Sweet Ivy||8.||Soft Spot In My Skull|
|4.||1000 Mile Stare||9.||Deadlock|