|Other Lives / Rituals|
|Add Date:||2015-07-24||Pull Date:||2015-09-25|
|Week Ending:||27 Sep||20 Sep||13 Sep||6 Sep||30 Aug||23 Aug||16 Aug||9 Aug|
|1.||Fri, 18 Dec 15:||Telepathic Juan|
In The Year One Thousand, Eight Thousand: Best of 2015 [FQ1511-2]
|4.||Sun, 13 Sep 15:||Sicke Wolfe|
|2.||Thu, 24 Sep 15:||SOL·MAX·ION|
Clean Copper Radio
|5.||Fri, 11 Sep 15:||Waves and Scuttle Toes|
Dinner on Breakaway Bluff
|3.||Fri, 18 Sep 15:||Francis D|
|6.||Thu, 10 Sep 15:||SOL·MAX·ION|
Clean Copper Radio
Lush baroque indie pop. |
Other Lives hail from Stillwater, OK and once performed under the name Kunek. I was drawn to this one because it was produced by session drummer Joey Waronker who’s worked with artists like Beck and E. Smith. Most songs are layers of piano/strings shrouding male vox with angelic female backing.
Reminiscent of… Owen Pallett, Radiohead (Hail to the Thief/Amnesiac etc era), Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver?, sometimes Arcade Fire
Likely FCC on 9… try 4, 7, 12, 5, 8, 9(*FCC), 14
1. (3:55) med-slow lush piano, quiet beeps, calming yet mysterious, ¾ shift… warm ocean waves overcoming you
2. (4:20) med-fast opens w/ electronic shimmery ambience, strings, high-pitched and pretty. nice build @ finish
3. (3:27) mid. cool piano groove, spectral wails in the back of spoken-type vocals, overall effect has a certain swagger to it
4. *(4:03) mid. coy yet moody piano, moving double-snare beat. I like this.
5. *(3:33) med-slow. chimey, strong toms, Sigur Ros-y, mood alternates between light/cherubic backing and foreboding
6. (3:25) slow-med. dawn breaks: elegant strings and horns mellow with tinkling piano over a beat like a clock ticking out of control.
7. *(3:57) med. catchy - driving beat, dramatic strings, like a softer Owen Pallett
8. *(3:25) med-slow. slightly twangy/bluesy with eerie high accents.
9. *(4:40) FCC (sh*t) med-slow. easygoing waltz, piano and snare tune, builds triumphantly. shame about the FCC.. which I’m not sure about/feels like it came outta nowhere.. cause this is lovely.
10. (3:50) mid. spooky low-key jazzy Radiohead …
11. (3:47) mid. nice piano piece over pounding beat. dreamy escapism. very lush, reminds me of Arcade Fire
12. *(4:02) mid-fast. darker guitar and harmonized vox. pounding beat.
13. (4:05) med-fast. dreamy piano. leads to vox over lonely strings. etc etc
14. *(3:53) slow. low, slow melancholy vocals. quite lovely, grand closer. good set-ender.
|1.||Fair Weather||8.||Need A Line|
|4.||Easy Way Out||11.||No Trouble|
|5.||Beat Primal||12.||For The Last|
|6.||New Fog||13.||It's Not Magic|